The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - My 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate system only uses 3gb out of 4gb of ram

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by calebstein
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 2135 times

calebstein

I installed the 64-bit Windows 7 because I had 4gb of ram but when I go into system in control panel, it says "Installed Memory (RAM): 4GB (3GB usable)." How can I make my 64-bit system use my fourth gigabytes of ram and if I install 2 more gigabytes of ram, will it only use 3 out of 6gb.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo

Whats the status of the installed memory in BIOS?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Look in your BIOS, does it support Memory Remapping? If not, the OS can't remap stuff above 4GB's and up to 1 GB will be used for remapping video and h/w info.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

calebstein

I checked the BOIS thoroughly and couldn't find anything to do with memory remapping. I will check again soon. Just in case this helps, the model of the computer is a Dell XPS 420.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Well I looked at the manual on-line for the 420 and you do not have a setting like that in BIOS from what I can see?

I suspect you'll need more memory to get to use more memory. There is memory that the system must use for itself. Remapped BIOS, Device Memory usage, Video memory. On a 32 bit system 4GB's is max., you can't add more memory and go above this. 64 bit does not have this restriction.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.