How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Muting Laptop Microphone

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by grhm
  • Latest reply from taybay
  • Topic Viewed 5282 times

grhm
grhm

Hey guys, I was playing Halo 2 on my laptop yesterday when i realised my built in microphone (a little hole in my case) was always on and people could hear anything i said. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how to set a keyboard combination that will mute/un-mute my microphone so the other players can hear me when i want.

Do games take complete control so that any shortcut created would be ignored anyway?

I have vista and the controller is Realtek High Definition Audio.

Many thanks for any help.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The only way you can be completely sure it's off and that no programs can hijack its control, is to disable it in Device manager

Posted 6 years ago

grhm
grhm

When online, there is an icon that says if the microphone is on or not. It then lights up when it hears sound and it is being heard by others.
Unfortunately there seems to be no way of controlling this. I think i will have to have it on or off. Thanks for the reply.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

hey! wats your notebook? i think i have the same notebook as you!
coz i also have realtek high definition audio.

mine is a Benq JoyBook S32W with vista home premium, 2.0ghz and 2gig ram. 13.3" 2 mega pixel camera, 240 gig hardrive.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

There should be some sort of sensitivity setting in the Halo 2 control panel. I'm not sure, but it's a pretty common setting.

Posted 6 years ago

grhm
grhm

I have an evesham voyager 720dc: dual core 2GHz, 2GB RAM, geforce go 7950GTX.

It doesn't detect me speaking quietly so i will see if i can turn the sensitivity down. Cheers for the idea taybay :)

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

No problem. Aren't you glad you have a gamer on this forum? =P

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!