The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Must unplug/plug CPU to start

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MarjieTech
  • Latest reply from MarjieTech
  • Topic Viewed 296 times

MarjieTech

Somewhere around the massive Jan. 10th Microsoft update, my computer began acting strangely. Pushing the power button did nothing, and I had to unplug it, wait, then plug it back in for it to start. Once it is up, it runs perfectly, though rather slow, but it's an HP Pavilion (4GB Ram, Intel Quad 2.66GHz, GForce8500GT, Win7 64 bit), five years old, and yes, I'm looking to replace it.

In the meantime, I've tried: Changing power cords, changing electric outlets. scanning for virus, removed some extraneous programs, Event log reading, plus Googled this until the cows came home. Then I took it to a local computer shop where they had installed a new 450w PSU in September and they checked the motherboard (OK), replaced the CMOS battery, and even replaced their installation of the PSU with a new 450w model. Although they duplicated the problem, they couldn't solve it. I brought it home. I called HP and their customer care told me to unplug the computer from the back of the CPU, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then re-plug and start. It started, but though he assured me it was fixed, it was not. Once it cooled down, I had to repeat the unplug/plug process to turn it on.

I'm backing up everything on this computer, and it's still working perfectly, but I wish I could solve the power problem. At this point, as you can imagine, I'm willing to try anything and everything, and I would really appreciate any suggestions you all have. I've poured over this forum for any other situations like this and am stumped that no one else has this problem.

Thank you very much.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi MarjieTech ,

Have you checked the Hibernate/Sleep settings, they could be causing a confliction with the normal start up.

Posted 1 year ago

MarjieTech

Thanks for the reply, GuiltySpark. Yes, at first I assumed that Hibernation wasn't working because even though I had used Hibernate every night for five years, the computer had turned itself off and into this "condition" where it wouldn't power on. After I discovered that the unplug/plug trick would work, I stopped using Hibernate and just turned everything off overnight. Even the tech at the shop couldn't get the computer to resume after Hibernate, and we both discovered that using Sleep just rebooted the system with "Windows did not shut down properly" message. In trying to pinpoint the date this started, I looked back to the Jan. 10th MS update and assumed that could be the cause of the Hibernate/Sleep break. I don't know what all that did but I saw that many of my older programs suddenly had an installation date of Jan. 10th when they hadn't been touched in months. And of course, I would have done a system restoration except for the fact that shortly after that time my printer suddenly began to balk and I had to do a complete re-install, and I couldn't be sure of a good restoration date. Even now, I could do a system restore, but that would be software-related and I'm still in the mindset of hardware malfunction. The HP tech said it was a "build-up of electricity in the hard drive," for what that's worth.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!