SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

MUST open VDHX WIN8 image file on WIN7 machine to get critical files.

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Atlantis
  • Latest reply from PackDrill
  • Topic Viewed 2106 times

Atlantis

I purchased a Windows 8 machine and created a VDHX restore image file. It was copied to an external USB drive. The Windows 8 machine had problems and had to be returned. I am running Windows 7 currently and MUST open that VDHX WIN8 image file or I am screwed. There is critical client data in the image file. I suppose I can create a partition on WIN7 box and dual boot my machine, but would rather not. Win7 box is badly fraggged all over and will take forever just to defrag and be able to create another boot partition.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

How fast do you need Windows 8 ??

Posted 1 year ago

Atlantis

Quickly. DO you think thats the only way at this time?

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill

Is it possible to run a virtual machine running Windows 8 and being able to open this file?

Posted 1 year ago

Atlantis

I don't think VMWARE or Virtualbox support VHDX WIN 8 image files. I am looking at Virtualbox right now after being told that should work. I tried MAGICISO, CLONE, and some others with no luck. Worst case I can dual boot WIN 8

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill

Yeah I had virtual box in mind.
So you'd like someone to open this file for you and..?

Posted 1 year ago

Atlantis

I would like to extract the files I need, but doubt that. I have been playing with VBOX and I don't see any way to simply open that VHDX backup image file from WIN 8 on WIN 7 without WIN 8 O/S installed as a boot part or virtual machine.

Posted 1 year ago

Atlantis

Going to give the following a try with VirtualBox 4.2.0. This version changelog is supposed to have ReadOnly support for VHDX files. Not sure if I can simply look at it or change attributes and make it work for me.
VirtualBox Website Download & Changelog to view VDHX Image files.

VirtualBox 4.2.0 (released 2012-09-13)
Storage: added readonly support for VHDX images

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill

Man if I was still running windows 8 I would totally give you a hand Atlantis, but I down graded to W7 again :/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.