How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Multiple Monitors

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by carrie650
  • Latest reply from carrie650
  • Topic Viewed 772 times

carrie650

HELLO!

This may have been asked already, sorry if it has been I would welcome the links to the threads, my immediate searches found nothing. I have a SA series Vaio. I would really like two monitors at my desk at work. Right now I am using extended desktop with a Samsung 14" screen on the VGA output of my laptop. Is there anyway with a docking station or some other bit of hardware to get two samsung 14" screens to run as extended desktop, so that basically I can dock my laptop on arrival at work in a draw and run the two screens on the desk with a wireless keyboard and mouse? I hope that is clear enough. The docking stations available from Sony have 1x HDMI output and 1x VGA output. Can the graphics card handle the use of both ports if the normal screen on the laptop is closed.

I did try a rather brutal attempt earlier in the year by cutting a VGA plug away from its cable and putting the pins into my VGA output whilst I still had a HDMI cable plugged in as well, needless to say (and I wasnt very optomistic at the time, after all if Sony had made it possible to run the VGA and HDMI ports simultaenously then they wouldnt have put them so close so as to stop you from using them both ath the time) it didnt work!.

Much love for HTG great site.

Carrie650

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Perhaps a device like IOGEAR GUC2015V USB to VGA Video Adapter would do the job along with the external monitor port on your laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

carrie650

Hi Xhi

Thanks very much it looks like it might work. Do you have this adapter? I only worry that once my VGA slot on my laptop is in use the vaio wont allow another signal along a USB port to either extend or clone my primary display attached to the PC Carrie650.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I do not have one personally. The write-up at the link I gave above says, in part.

The connected monitor can be configured to clone your primary screen or extend the Windows desktop for visibility of more applications simultaneously. The driver for controlling the extra screen utilizes very little computer resource while offering a vast array of screen resolutions and color depth for the performance that matches a directly connected screen

I would do it if it were I.

Posted 1 year ago

carrie650

Will do and let you know who it goes. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

if your docking station has a HDMI and VGA port, then you can dock the laptop and have both of those port connected to a HDMI monitor and a VGA monitor at the same time. i have this setup with one of my users at work.
best way is to grab a HDMI monitor from a colleagues desk or somewhere and test it. should be fine.

Posted 1 year ago

iain1324

Hi Carrie650
I found this tutorial that can help you I think:
http://howto.apu.re/videos/how.....-a-laptop/
Cheers,
Iain

Posted 1 year ago

carrie650

Hello, Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a cable on RS order code is 745-6769 here is the link: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/.....s/7456769/ works perfectly. Plug and play. When get a docking station mickeyblue i will also give your idea a go. With the cable and drivers you can run up to 6 screns, if you have enough RAM.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.