The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Multiple Internet Explorer Browsers Open by Themselves

(26 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by scrabbler1
  • Latest reply from Hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 4359 times

scrabbler1

I have been trying to fix my friend's Gateway laptop for more than a month now. She has XP-Home on it, along with Service Packs 1, 2, and 3. I have the laptop with me as I post this from my own, working PC which happens to have the same OS and web browsers.

For some strange reason, it keeps trying to open internet browsers all the time on its own. This happened with IE6 and Firefox. After a while, it calms down. But when the system starts up or comes out of Stand-by, the windowbomb begins.

It does not matter if it is connected to the internet or not.

It does not matter what the home page is set to.

At times, it had 40-50 browsers open at one time. But more often, it has 5-10 browsers open.

I ran Symantec Antivirus. It found nothing. I ran Spybot S&D. It found nothing. I ran Malwarebytes. It found nothing.

I have reloaded Windows XP from the restoration CDs 4 or 5 times, I lost count. Most recently, I was able to reflash the BIOS using the 9522818.iso file and running 380035.exe. It did not help.

I did not try to reload Windows after reflashing the BIOS, as a Gateway agent told me to run a hard drive scan using GWSCAN512. I ran both the quick scan and the extended scan. Both scans found no errors. I then reloaded Windows OS only (see below) and that did not help.

I also noticed that the system attempts to find an internet connection after I reload the operating system, before I switch CDs and load the drivers.

I was barely able to back up her files before reloading windows for the first time, as this "windowbomb" hijacks other tasks such as Windows Explorer.

Why does this awful thing happen, making the system unusable? How do I make it stop so she can use her system as she has done before?

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

scrabbler1 hi. I would completely nuke the drive with DBAN, and then re-install the OS.
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

I tried DBAN and two other HD erasure programs in July. One was from Western Digital, the HD's manufacturer. The other was HDDERASE.

DBAN ran for 9 hours and did not end up erasing the HD, as Windows booted up normally. I saw a bunch of ^@^@^@ but they stopped appearing after 9 hours so I ended it.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

9 hours is very quick for DBAN, how big is the hard drive ?

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

It is a 30GB hard drive. BTW, I aborted the process after 9 hours; it had stalled and did not appear to complete.

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

(I hit "accept answer" by mistake. This remains an open issue.

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Open IE click Tools>Internet options>Connections>LAN settings

Untick use proxy server

Apply

How is it now

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

That box was already unchecked. However, in that same window, just above in the "Automatic Configuration" section, the first box (Automatically detect settings) was checked. I unchecked that and rebooted the system. (I wanted to merely close the browser and restart it, but by then 54 browsers had opened up and locked up the system.)

Amazingly, the windowbomb has stopped, at least for now. Could this little box being checked have caused this horrible thing for the last few months?

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Download this {sorry LH I only have direct download}

Rkill download http://download.bleepingcomput...../rkill.exe

If the first one don’t work try the others.

http://download.bleepingcomput...../rkill.pif

http://download.bleepingcomput...../rkill.scr

http://download.bleepingcomput...../rkill.com

Run Rkill then run update Malwarebytes and do a scan on ALL drives

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

I spoke too soon. The windowbomb remains.

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

I ran 3 of the 4 rkills, as I received a "page not found" message when trying to download the .pif one. They terminated no malware processes.

I should point out that I have not connected that system to the internet sinde the latest Windows reinstall. The windowbomb began only after installing the operating system (with the "make an internet connection" screen appearing and not being able to be terminated) and with the multiple browsers themselves appearing after I installed all the drivers. I have used the same CDs to successfully install Windows (XP-Home) on two different PCs so the problem is not with the CDs themselves. I also used different CDs to install Windows XP-Pro on teh same system and the windowbomb returned.

In early July, shortly after the windowbomb began, and after one of the reinstalls, I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Same for Spybot and Symantec. Is there a virus or spyware hiding on the HD which escapes detection from these 3 usually effective pieces of software and also escapes being deleted after reformatting the HD multiple times?

I also reflashed the BIOS in early August but that did not make the windowbomb disappear. In the geekstogo forum, I was advised to run a bunch of other things such as Combofix but nothing helped.

So, is there another setting such as the one I changed earlier today which needs to be changed in order for the system to stop trying to create an internet connection and open web browsers all the time? Or do I need to replace the HD itself despite having had it replaced last December? I don't want to go to the expense (not a huge one) of replacing the HD again only to discover that it was something else (hardware?) which was causing the windowbomb.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

have you tried to upgrade/downgrade your internet ex ? what edition 6-7-8, and remove ff, see what happens it may work perhaps its a setting in your browser, or reset to default .

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Not sure what to suggest but try updating to IE8

Or join this site and let a malware expert look at some logs etc

http://z3.invisionfree.com/virusvault/index.php?

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

I am using IE6 but remember, the first sign of the windowbomb problem is seen after the OS is installed, before any IE browsers actually work. Also, the first time this happened in late June, I tried switching to Firefox but that browser opened multiple times the same way IE did.

If the problem is the HD, shouldn't it be covered under some kind of warranty? The date on the label of the HD is 11/2009.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

by chance have you loaded weatherbug? If so here is a fix for IE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812942

EDIT: model of system, please.
After you do your clean install what else do you install before it starts the flashcard effect

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

There is no weatherbug on the system. The system is a Gateway 400 (laptop) notebook.

All I install is the Windows XP-Home operating system and the drivers off the Gateway restoration CDs, the same CDs I used to reinstall Windows on two other systems. The laptop has its own keyboard and touchpad mouse, features whose drivers are installed off the CDs even though they are not installed when I installed XP from the CDs onto other desktop systems. Back in July, I disabled the mouse and keyboard and plugged in external versions of them but that did not stop the windowbomb.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Did you double-click any hard drive partition after the fresh install?

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

The latest install of the OS took place several weeks ago, so I don't remember what I did regarding partitioning. I recall this issue (partitioning) arising in some of the many reinstalls I did since late June. I did not ask for any partitioning, unlike one time 3 years ago on this laptop when there was partitioning because there was a question upon reboot as to which OS I wanted to use - a previous, corrupted one, or the one I had just installed. That question did not appear this time so I am assuming there was no partitioning. Is there a way I can confirm this?

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Sometimes when you do a fresh re-install (because your computer was screwed up by a virus), apparently the virus is gone, but it isn't. It is in the other partitions. When you double click to open any partition (say, you opened the D:\ drive by double clicking it), the virus activates again. That's why I asked the question...

But the previous posts show that there isn't any virus on your computer. Thats fine.

Question: Do you have any HOTKEYS on the keyboard? If yes, is there one for INTERNET?

Posted 3 years ago

scrabbler1

Interesting comment about how a virus can hide in one partition and not die even when an OS is reinstalled.

As for hot keys, the laptop has one for opening up a web browser. It is done by pressing the Windows key and the "E" key at the same time, and this is unique to the laptop's built-in keyboard (which would explain why the desktops I used the same CDs for did not have this problem). Could there be a way this is being triggered endlessly? I did a little research and saw that this is embedded in the registry.

I am interested in exploring this possibility further. Please tell me more.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.