The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

MSN Word Documents

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ChefJulie
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1746 times

ChefJulie

I'm a first-time poster with a mundane question, but I sure could use some help! I'm writing a book. Currently have 90 chapters. am writing on word, and then saving elsewhere at the end of the day. I need to make a quick change in the first line of each chapter once each week (ideas, notes, etc.), and have been opening each chapter by double-clicking, opening the doc, making the change, saving, and then over and over. Is there an easier way?

Gratefully,
Julie

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

So each chapter is a separate doc?? If so, you could maybe merge them all into one big document and make your notes as a long header (which you can later delete), with specific references to chapters. But if it's 90 chapters long, depending on the length of each chapter . . . that would be a humongous document . . . and I don't know if Word has a character limit on document length. So that may not be an option, if it even addresses your concern anyway.

Other than that, it seems like you're looking for a way to globally open multiple documents, and then making the change in each one automated. And if all your changes are different for each chapter, I don't know if that would be possible without tediously doing the same thing anyway. Though maybe there's a macro you could write to do that.

I'm not real proficient in Macro language, so if a macro is the solution, maybe somebody else will jump in here with the specific guidelines.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do. As BobJam said, if the change you make to each chapter is different from all other chapter's changes, then you need to do what you are doing. But why don't you make a seperate document where you group all these "first lines" together and structure that by chapter:
Chapter 1: ....
Chapter 2: ....
Chapter 3: ....
etc.
Then you only have to refer to that one document to make all the changes.

Posted 5 years ago

ChefJulie

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! Will continue to check in here to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Cheers!
Julie

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ChefJulie,

Use Internal Book Marks in the document.

Search in word help to learn how to use topic.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Yes, that internal book marks thing will help you, but I think you may want to try to merge it into one big document for that mechanism to be most efficient. But even if you have separate documents for each chapter, it will still help. Essentially, they will be links that will take you right to where you need to be without tedious scrolling.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Bob,

Also a good suggestion.
Not sure how the poster accomplished so much without using internal and external bookmarks ??
90 Chapters ?? WOW !!!!
Sometimes I can't remember where I am in a simple post (LOL) (LOL).
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!