How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

MsMpEng.exe devouring CPU

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by TheKingOfScandinavia
  • Latest reply from TheKingOfScandinavia
  • Topic Viewed 2301 times

TheKingOfScandinavia

Hello all!
Long time reader and admirer of the articles - especially on Windows 8.

But now I turn the fate of my sanity to you guys.

A while back I switched from my former favorite AVG Free to my new preference; Microsoft's MS Security Essentials (I believe it was based on an article I read here..?)

I had it running alongside MalwareBytes' Antimalware Free edition, and they seemed to go along nicely, not clashing at any point or anything happening with them.
Then about two months ago, at times my CPU would be dragged upwards of 90-100% and just stay there. In task manager, the MSE process MsMpEng.exe would draw everything between 40% and 90% of the CPU.

I then uninstalled MalwareBytes, and used the cleaner provided by MalwareBytes to remove every trace of it, but still the process at seemingly random times 'steals' my CPU.

I'll appreciate any input and idea. When I get home I'll post a HijackThis-report.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi TKOS ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Open up MSE and select the Settings tab, where it says Limit CPU usage during scan and set it to 50% (or less) depending how long you want the scan to run for.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

TheKingOfScandinavia hi. I had the same thing with MSE, but it cured itself ?

Posted 1 year ago

TheKingOfScandinavia

My daily scan is set to run at 100%, but it is also set to begin at "around 2:00 AM" - so by my accounts it should not run at 16:00. My two 320gig internal hard drives are not that cluttered.

What I've done so far because I was going nuts over it, was to disable the ... uh... Live protection? (Not sure what it is called in English - the program is in Danish)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!