How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

MSE Scores At The Bottom Of Latest AV-Test Results

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 859 times

amkeew
amkeew

I have been on norton/avg/kaspersky paid route and found the free ride on MSE to be liberating. :)

Enjoying the free ride for the past 3 years without any issues.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Although I use Norton, I've been on a Free ride too. I wait for Black Friday sales and the usually cost to me is one POSTAGE STAMP to get the rebates. Yeah, I loan Symantec about $50 for 2 months, but it basically is FREE.

Only problem with any of these, you don't know IF you'll have a problem until you do get one. No product is guaranteed to be 100% protection. My wife caught one of those re-direction thingees one time. Turned out it set up a Proxy for her... hard to track down at first as it was new. Many if not all A/V's and Suites do not fix things retroactively even when they are updated to protect for them. A friend caught a variant of it too, but it set the Proxy in his router that had the standard UID and P/W for the router as shipped. Had to call the s/w vendor and pay to have that fixed.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

FYI -

Regarding Rick's point about Spywareblaster placing a string of "bad website" entries in the registry - I took his suggestion and ran a search for the "F-word" using regedit.

That was last night around 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time -- and I'm still blushing now...which, for a guy my age, is not an easy trick.

The things you learn at HTG....

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Microsoft responded to AV-Test. Here is an excerpt:

"AV-Test reports on samples hit/missed by category. We report (and prioritize our work) based on customer impact.

AV-Test's test results indicate that our products detected 72 percent of all "0-day malware" using a sample size of 100 pieces of malware. We know from telemetry from hundreds of millions of systems around the world that 99.997 percent of our customers hit with any 0-day did not encounter the malware samples tested in this test.

AV-Test's test results indicate that our products missed 9 percent of "recent malware" using a sample size of 216,000 pieces of malware. We know from telemetry that 94 percent of these missed malware samples were never encountered by any of our customers."

Read about it here.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!