The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

MSE Scores At The Bottom Of Latest AV-Test Results

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 859 times

Straspey

Like many people here, I am a fan of Microsoft Security Essentials, and use it as my primary anti-virus program, in combination with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Last night I was reading the forums of another tech site which I frequent and was very surprised to see an article regarding the latest test scores (Nov/Dec 2012) from the independent av-test-org showing the results which places MSE at the low end in the areas of protection and cleaning efficiency.

Out of a possible high score of 6.0, Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 scores 6.0 and 5.5 respectively - while Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 scores 5.5 and 5.5 in those two areas.

However, out of a possible 6.0 high, the scores for Microsoft: Security Essentials are - 1.5 for "Protection" and 3.0 for "Repair".

I'm certainly not an expert on the comparisons or preferences of one anti-virus software over another - however I found this information a bit surprising - and somewhat disconcerting as well.

Since MSE is often recommended by the moderators and experienced geeks here, I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts, reactions and opinions. I don't mean to start another "Which is the best anti-virus" thread - but more specifically - how does one explain the poor test scores for MSE ?

Here's the link where you can view the detailed results of all the tests:

http://www.av-test.org/en/test.....vdec-2012/

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Howard, nice post, difficult one to answer really.

However;

Since MSE is often recommended by the moderators and experienced geeks here, I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts, reactions and opinions. I don't mean to start another "Which is the best anti-virus" thread - but more specifically - how does one explain the poor test scores for MSE ?

I use and recommend exactly your above security setup.
It has always been very difficult to recommend one catchall suite, because one just does not exist.

The benchmarks are difficult to extrapolate from the site.

I am not only a home user of the above but all new setups I do include the above without issues (well they have not come back with issues....yet!)

Once MSE is setup correctly scanning on a daily basis should be resource minimal (which is good). Alot of A/vs just slow the system down tremendously. MSE is live.

Given that I am not a 'normal home user'given the download testing on my lappy, I have had MSE, and SAS report immediately if there is a known problem and the 'clean' window popup is displayed.

I am using the Pro version of SAS which cost, on a deal $9.99 ( about £6 UK )

Taking the above into account and the report thus linked to, I am staying with what I have.

That is not to say that I disagree, I'm happy with what is running and have no problems on my 3 machines.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Mike -

Thank you very much for your considered reply and explanation.

I too use both the professional versions of SAS and MBAM (Having won free licenses during past holiday "Giveaway" events on other sites).

I have seen MSE prevent me from downloading a suspicious file - also received a false positive regarding one of Nir Sofer's handy utilities. I also have it configured to run a "Quick Scan" every morning, after downloading and installing the day's new definitions file.

Also, I am always relieved on those few occasions where MBAM will prevent me from accessing a website it deems to be malicious. I run a complete scan using all three programs about once a month, and try to be vigilant and pay attention when I'm browsing unfamiliar territories - because, no matter how high your anti-virus scores may be - there is no protection for stupid.

So far I have been lucky, and will continue to rely on those three programs for protection. But it did surprise me to see those scores - but actually you pretty much validated my own thoughts on the issue.

Thanks again.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Howard thanks for the quick reply.
I can't 'validate' but can only use everyday usage on many machines to keep the machines safe.

There will always be the false positives picked up and I find that with a lot of downloads, including the good stuff.

Good housekeeping and regular scans should keep you this side of a disaster. Good to see you are happy with what you have and happy with it.

What works is good.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

From the problems I've observe on the Forum, all A/Vs except for MSE or Defender have a Heavy Foot Print, Slow Machines Down, Cause Conflicts With Other Software, Can be Costly and for the most part are Very Hard to Uninstall if they can be at all.

As for systems that get infections, the only way to really fix the problem is a Clean Install or Re-Image as there is no software that can fix Windows except original Windows itself.

With that being said, I'll take my chances with Free MS Software and System Backup Images.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Besides performance, paid A/V's tend to come with other things, e-mail, outgoing, etc. Free are usually one type of protection, usually running apps causing problems. Paid A/V's will check d/l's too and stop them before they even can be run.

Other major difference is support and help if needed.

Here is a link for BEST PAID A/V'S FOR 2013 for your reading enjoyment. Mentioned in that article is SECURITY SUITE ENDURANCE TEST and in that, MSE seemed to do better than some others, sort of contradicts the original comment?

It is all in the TESTING and INTERPRETATION I guess? Numbers don't lie, but Statisticians do I guess?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

If people want to add another layer of protection and prevention they can use Comodo Secure DNS servers...this will prevent them or warn them they are about to land on an attack site: http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/switch/

With reference to the OP, I agree with the consensus here and the additional use of MBAM and SAS...I might add Macrium or other imaging utility as well. Coupled with sensible browsing behavior i think this about as much as one can do without getting overly stressed about it. The other thing is don't keep your data with the OS in C:. This latter thing is what causes the most stress because their stuff is IN the infected system...if it wasn't there they've just got an infected system and have much less to worry about that a reinstall or re-image can't solve.

MSE is maybe weak on zero-day attacks and malware removal. It is the very nature of these attacks to exploit unknown weaknesses that can only be plugged AFTER the event...I don't see how an antivirus can invariably detect every instance. As for the relatively poor removal statistic that's what MBAM and SAS EXCEL at...no AV is better than these two at removal. MSE is a DETECTION tool and all three together make a GREAT TEAM. I think we, on the whole, recommend a sound strategy and suite for the average user.

Irv

MSE checks downloads and attachments too.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Check a half dozen reviews on AVs and you will find a half dozen results. Check the same sources a month later and the results will have changed dramatically (one updates daily and the results change daily). A lot has to do with which virus samples used to test with. I use MBAM and SAS after running a scan with MSE and they don't detect anything slipping through so I doubt MSE is missing anything.

Still, the best AV is the one between one's ears. Staying away from dodgy web sites, dodgy computer practices, etc. is more effective than just depending on an AV or an army of antimalware programs to keep one safe.

@ Irv. You old enough to remember Darrell Huff's, "How to Lie with Statistics"?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

@LF, I'm on Medicare, does that answer your question <VBG>

@Tony, yes, it does, but some do not. Me, I'm all for an INTEGRATED SUITE, that includes more than A/V, like FireWall, constant updating, etc., but it does come with some overhead I do not use, like Parental Controls. Some 'utilities' included as well. Right now I'm using Norton's ISS 2013, and for comparison, my wife has McAfee's ISS 2013 that came with her computer (15 month license). Although both of our individual computers are fast (Intel i7's) and have 8GB's of RAM and SSD's for the OS, McAfee is more 'annoying' sometimes, Norton others. Problem is if you turn off those features you might be sorry later. Norton's is possibly the 'worst' telling me I have to APPROVE using the program, why? Because NOT many people are using it... pain in the butt for some beta testing I'm doing. BTW, W8's SmartScreen seems to agree with Norton, I see that first (and it is trickier as you must click on 'more info' to see allow, otherwise all you can do is cancel) and then the Norton warning, with equally annoying way to approve it.

With today's modern processors and disk drives, load factor from any A/V or suite generally isn't a problem, especially if you are not doing much and have enough RAM. I remember in the 'old days' when I'd see (or do) a demo of an OS or program and it was running like lightning. Users didn't have the same experience. For instance we have a computer club here, and one day people were asking about 'protection' (back in the day of Pentium II's) and one guy told people he could get suites for 1/2 price what stores sell them. He was taking orders... and what did he get people, 2 year old suites which were good licenses for updates. Only problem, in those days the engines were not that good and were not updated, only the signature files were. A friend who got one called me as her machine was like molasses, old technology (s/w) on old h/w do not mix.

Here is some links for 'How to Lie with Statistics' for your reading enjoyment BTW :

http://www.robelle.com/smugbook/stats.html
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/stat3.html
$6.15 USD if you want to buy the book.
http://www.physics.smu.edu/pseudo/LieStat/

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Folks always forget about this Free Program.

This protects you more than you will ever know plus does not run in the background.

SpywareBlaster
http://www.brightfort.com/sbdownload_setup.html

Just check for Updates often.

This version of SAS does not install, just keep program on desktop and run at will because it updates automatically.
http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Irv -

I am a huge fan of SpywareBlaster and have been using it since Windows XP.

I've heard some people say it really doesn't do that much for Windows 7 (and later) - and would be interested in your thoughts on that.

However I still have it and update it regularly. And - if I'm not mistaken - you can opt pay a small fee which will activate the automatic updates function.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Best, I don't know... but MSE is what I use and I haven't been hit by anything. I scan my PC manually from time to time with various different antimalware setup's -- and those haven't found anything either.

Here's my take: while NO ONE can guarantee safety at any time whatsoever... I also believe that much of the reports we see are just that -- hype! These are the things I do (or have done) regularly:

1. online banking / bill paying / buying / selling / transferring
2. internet surfing in all sorts of internet cafes abroad -- two whole months' worth in Belarus and Russia plus another three in China.
3. ditto #2 but with public / free wifi
4. visiting various naughty sites sometimes
5. downloading apps (although usually from trusted sources or after doing some WOT type check up's)

Hype is everywhere in our capitalist society -- I suppose mere whispers just don't catch people's attention. I regularly leave my house with non-street-facing windows and doors opened (I hate a stuffy house) -- and all these years -- no one has entered and taken anything. And I live in one of the largest metropolitan cities with high crime rates to match. Yes, people do get killed and robbed and all that -- but nearly 300 million of us don't -- day after day and year after year.

So, given that most all of us here are techies or semi techies -- I ask that we all try to put this in 'objective' perspective -- leaving out the emotions -- as much as possible.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Straspey,

Spywarebaster stores known "bad" websites in the registry and and will not let the system interact with the sites no matter what version of Windows is running.

Open regedit and and use the "find function" to look up the "F" word.

When it finds the word, go up and down the list of registry keys to see the 100s, maybe 1000s, of "bad" sites the computer is protected from.

They all do not have the "F" word but I use this for an easy example to get to the registry keys.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

ReadandShare,

All us "ole Timers" don't get emotional about this topic because we've been dealing with it since the first PCs were invented back in the early 1970s.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Good to know, raphoenix... would be nice if society at large can take this in the same way.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ Irv. Yep.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

@ Irv -

You said - "Spywarebaster stores known "bad" websites in the registry and and will not let the system interact with the sites no matter what version of Windows is running."

So - does that mean if I were to remove and uninstall Spywareblaster from my system (I have the Pro version of Revo) - would that also remove all those entries in the registry as well ? Just curious.

Thanks !

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

@Howard, that was what Ralph posted, not me <VBG>

I run other 'malware' programs occasionally. HIJACK-HUNTER is the one I usually run, but others too on occasion.

It appears there is NO SINGLE Malware program that gets everything, you have to run a few to be sure.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@Straspey,

I don't know because I've never used Revo.

Always felt that If a program needs Revo for un-installing, then best I Restore the complete system from an Image File made before the program was installed.

Remember I run Multi drive systems so I keep current duplicate files such as Mail PST files on other drives for quick import if I have to Re-Image.

Computing is like flying, one has to think ahead of the aircraft and immediate task at hand. :)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Thanks peeps. I am going to check out some of that software. However I realize with using Windows your protection is limited because whatever antivirus/malware software you are using, you are only protected against the "known" nasties that they have the "cure" for. Given that reality as LF so eloquently said: "Still, the best AV is the one between one's ears. Staying away from dodgy web sites, dodgy computer practices, etc. is more effective than just depending on an AV or an army of antimalware programs to keep one safe." The best defense is yourself and your computer habits.

I repair a lot of windows machines. It is amazing what I see. I know you have all seen it, probably even more than I have. Some of the things people do with their machines and then they wonder why it is all screwed up. I just laugh and shake my head. If they want to keep paying me that is their choice. I try to educate them a little. A little common sense goes a long way in this area.

I agree with Rick. I run a 4 disk machine. One disk for Windows. One disk for my two Linux distros which also has an ext 4 partition for file back ups with rsync. I have two 1 TB disks. One for my files and images and one for backup of the other 1 TB with paragon. I have a 500 GB external for images of my OSs, random stuff and my mozilla profile backups. Redundancy is the key. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I am getting to really like this forum as there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am always looking to learn and expand my horizons. I have just come back to Windows after a 5 year hiatus using Linux exclusively. I only has windows on my machine for FIOS because they required it at installation. But after using Windows 8 preview I decided to set up a triboot with Windows 8, Ubuntu and Sabayon.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.