How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

MSE Not Updating

(45 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 1404 times

Hermitt
Hermitt

LF, check your update schedule. The default MSE update schedule is "Weekly" if memory serves me right. I changed mine to Daily @ 9:00am and it usually updates within plus/minus 15-30 minutes of my schedule.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ LadyFitzgerald -

I'm sure you already know this, but you can configure the update schedule for MSE under the "Settings" tab.

I have mine configured to run a "Quick Scan" every day around 10:00 AM and to have checked the box for "Check for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan"

It says "around" 10:00 AM - and in my experience that can be anywhere from 9:30 - 10:30.

Also, if you have not created a restore point in a few days, MSE will create one before downloading and installing the new definitions files, which will appear as a "Critical Update" - similar to a normal Microsoft update.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Where do you set the update schedule in Settings? All see are scan schedules.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

When configuring MSE to run a schedules scan, there is a check-box below which says, "Check for the latest virus and spyware definitions before running a scheduled scan"

On my 64-bit PC with 4 gigs of RAM, a "quick scan" takes about three to five minutes and runs completely in the background - allowing me to proceed with whatever I'm doing at the time. If you check that box, MSE will search, download and install the latest definitions before running the scan -- which is how I receive my virus definitions updates daily.

I also run a full scan every few weeks - which obviously takes much more time; however I have made the MSE quick scan part of my daily PC protection scheme. You can also choose other options - such as to run the quick scan weekly or monthly.

Give it a try. If you find that it's not for you, you can always change the configurations back to what they are now.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've been only using MSE on my notebook since last June but if the only way to get the darned thing to update automatically is to run a scheduled scan, I may have to go back to AVAST! free. I'm never on my notebook computer consistantly at the same times so scheduled scans, no matter how short, are worthless. I'm more than just a little P.O.ed to find out that apparently the only time the thing has been getting updated was just before my weekly scans. AVAST! may be a little top heavy but, at least, it automatically updated itself several times daily. If MSE doesn't update itself by tomorrow, it's history.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, whatever floats your boat :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Your loss.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

30 seconds to set up a Scheduled Task to update definitions and run a daily scan.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ok, if MSE is so great, why the hell doesn't it update itself? How the hell hard would it have been for M$ to program that? I thought the idea behind MSE was one didn't have jump through hoops for it to work. How many normal users know how to set up a scheduled task (I don't) or even know that it needs to be done (I didn't)? Like I said, I'm bitterly disappointed (to put it politely) to find out I've been getting updates only when I ran my weekly scans. I still wouldn't know it if it hadn't been for that article over on 7 Forums.

I'm wondering if the reason for the recently reported low score was because MSE hadn't updated itself.

Moving to an AV that does what it is supposed to will NOT be a loss!

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

I *could* say moving to an OS that does what it is supposed to without so much worry about malware would be less of a loss.
<VEG>

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, MSE does update itself everyday, if you set set it that way, and do a quick scan everyday.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

So how do I set it up?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I would uncheck the Start The Scheduled Scan Only Wnen My Computer Is On But Not In Use to make sure it gets done...only takes mine 25 seconds to do a quick scan.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The only problem with that is this computer is on only at varying times of the day. Murphy's Law (and I'm part Irish so it counts double) says that, no matter what time I set the scan for, it will be highly unlikely I'll be on it at that time.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can run the scan any time you like as well.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Why should I? Especially when there are other free AVs that will do it for me.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If you don't have your computer on at the same time each day, then no AV, will update. It's impossible.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ LH. Not true. I installed AVAST! free yesterday evening and it is already updating itself automatically (as it always did in the past when I used to use it). It can be set to automatically update every so many minutes. The default is 240 minutes; I set the installation on this machine for 90 minutes. After several boots, I can't tell if AVAST! is slowing my machine down any more than MSE did (which is odd because it used to a little bit).

Another thing about MSE is every time I opened it up, the home screen said that the definitions were up-to-date. I know now it was lying. Somthing else I learned was M$ eventually reports MSE definitions in Windows Updates but lists them as Optional? Optional my Aunt Fanny! I'm through with MSE.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

It's up to date 'til it checks again and that check is dependent on when it's set, so, if you do a manual check it is likely a definition is ready to be downloaded. If Avast!, doing umpteen checks a day, puts your mind at rest more power to you.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

MSE will automatically update no matter what time/schedule is set.

Mine is set to Quick scan Daily 18.00 but if I don't switch on the computer til 20.00 within Half an hour it will be up to date.

So if you set it to quick scan at 09.00 and you don't switch the computer on til 11.00 it will update within 30 mins of net connection.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!