How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

MSDN Download Vista

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mnpeep
  • Latest reply from mnpeep
  • Topic Viewed 2446 times

mnpeep
mnpeep

In the article about making your own computer the How-To Geek said he got a MSDN copy of Windows Vista.
I wanted to degrade my Windows 7 RC and make another partition for Vista because my computer came with Windows Vista Home Home Premium and Windows 7 is cool and all... but the RC does not last forever.

============What Happened:============
Windows Vista HP==>Overwrite==>Windows 7
===============What I Want:===============
MSDN Copy of Vista ==>Overwrite ==>Windows 7
Make new Partition==> Install Windows 7 RC
==================Later:======================
Uninstall Windows 7 RC and make one big partition!!!
note: Hard Drive pre installed was said on box 320 GB
Only 219 GB is shown? Other Backup Partition was 14 GB

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

mnpeep, hello. You can purchase an MSDN subscription here. If all you need is a Vista install DVD, it would be cheaper to buy just that.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

I just need a vista iso or something i can put on a dvd because my computer came with vista and i overwritten vista to windows 7 so i want to be prepared when the time comes when windows 7 RC won't work anymore.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

If your system came with Vista, you have most likely a recovery partition (D:) from where you can reinstall Vista. Check in "Computer" whether such a D: partition exists. If yes, double click on it and see what's inside. Depending on the make of your PC, the reinstallation procedure will be slightly different. If you tell us the make of your PC, we can help you find the correct procedure.
PS: from D:, you can also burn an installation DVD. But for that, you first have to reinstall Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

My make is GateWay. There is a partition but is a hidden one. Its 100% free for some reason.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, you must have done a good job erasing everything. If there is nothing in D:, then you are stuck and have to purchase an OS in June next year or you can call Gateway and ask them to send you a recovery disk. They used to do that for a $20 S&H fee. Tell them that you accidently erased D: whilst trying to install W7. I think their Tel. # is 1-408-273 0808. Have your model number and serial number handy.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

Thank You!

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs wrote: Purchase an OS in June next year...

If you don't mind that Win7 RC will shutdown (or reboot) every two hours starting in March of next year!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware of that. But I am sure someone will find a tweak to fix that rebooting nuisance.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

They should of made a program in Win 7 RC so that you can revert back to vista because my computer came with vista and i do have a key

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Its good that you kept your license key ,if you know anyone with a home premium disc you can use it and enter your own key..
Might be your simplest solution.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Just make sure it is the true 25 digit Vista key and not the key with "OEM" in the middle.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

its a COA on the bottmo of my notebook

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!