The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

MS-Word: Type my name-it says I have a virus

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by letitsnow
  • Latest reply from letitsnow
  • Topic Viewed 1932 times

letitsnow

One of my friends has an interesting problem he just mentioned the other day and since he lives 5 hours away I can't help him much without looking at the computer while the problem is occurring. Remote access is not an option for him at this point. Whenever he is in MS-Word (version unknown) and he types his name in a document a popup tells him he has a virus on his computer. He says he thinks this is also happening in Excel. I suspect that this is someone's idea of a cute virus, but it is annoying to him. I also suspect that if he were to change the name of the user in MS-Office setups, he could type his own name without a problem, but of course I haven't been there to try this for him. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

There is malware that triggers such messages and wants you to go to a webpage and buy their "Antivirus" package. I have seen those offered for e.g. $39.95. The whole thing is, of course, useless and just designed to get at your money. These things are usually very hard to remove and in previous cases we almost always ended up reinstalling the system. The particular kind you mention coming thru Word, I have not seen yet, but the general scheme is known. He can try to run some good security software scans(Kaspersky, AVG, G-Data, Norton, etc.). Most of those have trial versions available. There is no guarantee though, that this will totally eliminate the bugger.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

It is odd that this is happening with Word and Excel but because they are have him disable Macros or at least set the level to high and then restart the program and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, then he just has some weird macro, if it comes back then whs's advice should take care of the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

letitsnow

Thanks people. These are both good suggestions and I will pass them along to my friend.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.