SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

MS Office <-> OpenOffice question, can anyone advise?

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by NYCaribou
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 619 times

NYCaribou

A couple of weeks ago I was hired to clean up and edit a membership database for an organization that a friend of mine belongs to. He's the org's treasurer and keeps a membership list that was created via Microsoft Access.

The thing is, he only has OpenOffice Access, which I recommended to him because I use OpenOffice Writer and sometimes its Calc as well. These two programs are fully cross-compatible with Microsoft Word and Excel and can save in those formats.

The problem is that OpenOffice Database is NOT completely compatible with MS Access. Files created in MS Access and saved in .mdb format are strictly write-protected and read-only when opened in OpenOffice Database.

Is there any way to change the format of the file or otherwise render it writable in Open Office?

If absolute worst came to absolute worst, I have a copy of the file, now, myself, and can use it to create a new OpenOffice database file from scratch. But before I resort to such a step I'd like to get some info over here.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Maybe this can help - or look for other converter programs that suit your problem better. Further down on the page there is another one that converts to txt or csv files.
http://converter1.software.inf.....db-to-doc/

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Try using LibreOffice Base. LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, and has advanced a lot in terms of compatibility with Microsoft Office. Its latest version (4.0) was released in February. And if you can read it, I believe you should then be able to save it in antoher format, although I never used the database application of any office suite.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!