The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

MRU list location

(11 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 5238 times

Scott

This one has puzzled me for too long. I use TitanTV to search for movies on cable. After some time I have a list of actors & keywords.

I have looked repeatedly for the file so I can save it, and prevent it from being deleted when I run one of the few system cleaners I use.

How can I identify this one file and allow the other MRU's to be wiped? Where the heck is it? (all my searches in Explorer have never yielded any positive result).

Thanks

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

You are specifically talking about the MRU for TitanTV, I assume?

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

I guess.

Previuosly it was Yahoo, Gist, etc.
Let's say I type in Michael Caine and see the movies he's in for the next 2 weeks. If I search my computer for anything Michael Caine, it never yields a result. I'm tired of having to rebuild the search list and assume this one is easy to solve but I never got around to asking for help :o

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I never realized titantv was a website... 8 blocks of ads on that site, and the one on the right follows you down the screen! They'd be better off with a cleaner design and less ads, or charging a subscription.

Anyway.. so where are you typing the search, the start menu, or in IE or Firefox?

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Geek,

I don't see the ads, honestly. Maybe it's FF + Adblock that prevents them from appearing.

But lets use TitanTV as an example (though not historically limited to any particular site). I type in Michael Caine in their search field. After, I search Explorer for any mention of Michael Caine in my whole computer and never have been able to see a positive result. If I run Spybot, CCleaner et al. and clean the usage/MRU tracks, all my searchs are gone (as expected).

I know the list must be somewhere, I just can never seem to find it, to save it.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

I think that Firefox stores the autocomplete entries in a file in your profile directory. There could be an extension to let you save them.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Thanks.
Can't seem to find any file within my profile that has that data and a check of extensions with 'MRU' doesn't match.

No worries, I've survived this long without being able to save it.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

You can always use MozBackup to save out your profile...

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

I'm not sure this is FF specific. When I search the same site in IE, the file disappears after a cleaning.

That's the intended result but I'd just like to know where the bloody file is located. I've lost searches with nearly 100 keywords.

Here's a link to the site:
http://ww2.titantv.com/ttv/pro.....x?reload=y

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

After doing some searching, here's the deal.

Firefox stores all of the history and form submit history in the .dat files located in your firefox profile directory. The file you are looking for is formhistory.dat.

The problem with this is that the file is a binary file formatted by something called Mork, which nobody has ever heard of because it's simply that bad.

Firefox 3.0 will use a different mechanism to store this information, so Mork is just hanging around until they finish the new release.

There's more information, and a utility to convert the history.dat file (but not the form history) at this link:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241438

There is a python script which I have not tested that can be used to convert any of the .dat files to something like xml:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=175024

For Internet Explorer, form auto-complete information is stored in the following registry key, but is encrypted:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2

Hopefully that answers your question =)

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Thanks Geek,

I too had a peek at formhistory.dat when supermansghost suggested I look at my FF profile. After opening it in Notepad, I realized the file wasn't meant to be read.

Read the thread on Bugzilla and will be patient, it's not like I have a choice.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.