The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

MP3 CD's

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by zouleous
  • Latest reply from Smashpmk712
  • Topic Viewed 1649 times

zouleous

I'm trying to find some information on creating cd's that contain mp3s for use on a CD Player. Is it nothing more than a data CD with mp3s on it? I assume the disc has to be closed for it to be played on a CD Player. I see options in WMP to "use media information to arrange files in folders on the disc". Is this ever required by CD Players?

I had tried putting a bunch of MP3s on a disc a while back and playing it in my brother's car which I thought had MP3 capability. It recognized the disc, but I couldn't hear anything. I could see the time counting as the disc was played yet no sound. The sound files being played were very long (about an hour). I assume there isn't some kind of restriction on that. I used WMP to create the disc and chose not to use the folder option mentioned above.

It is possible my brother's Honda CRV doesn't support mp3s in it's CD Player. I'll look in to that further as well. It's only a couple years old though. I know the new ones support them.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

do just want to use mp3's because they take up less space and put more songs on a cd or what

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Yes, an MP3 disc is just a data cd with MP3s on it.
You may want to double check what Windows Media Player burned though as it likes to default to WMA (Microsoft's Audo Format) files.

Posted 6 years ago

zouleous

Correct. I'm using up discs like mad when I make a regular Audio CD. Each audio track is about an hour long and I have a lot of them. I'd much rather just toss them on a couple CDs in mp3 format rather than use up 50 CDs in redbook format.

Posted 6 years ago

zouleous

Yes they are in mp3 format. I just popped one of the discs that I had burnt in to my computer and I can see a .wpl file (playlist) on it and all the mp3s I had put on there as well.

Posted 6 years ago

zouleous

Looks like Honda CRVs didn't start supporting mp3/wma format until 2007 model.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Actually, you need to burn it as an audio CD but using the MP3 will keep all of the tags etc so that an MP3 CD player can use the tag/folder info (at least it has worked for me that way).

Posted 6 years ago

Antman
Antman

Budohorseman, how will burning the mp3s as an audio CD save any space?

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

When you put an MP3 CD into a non MP3 CD player it just shows as 1 long audio track with no sound. so that would be you problem. listen to books on tape. they are better then music anyway .....

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!