The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Moving to a new ISP

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Chromehunger
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 332 times

Chromehunger

How hard is it to go from one ISP (vendor) to another? The new provider has speeds up to 100 times faster than our current T1. Is the change from one ISP to a different ISP cumbersome? Time consuming? Difficult? Will it take a lot of time for our IT staff to accomplish the change?

Thanks.

Provider One is Windstream (Illinois/Iowa). Provider Two is MediaCom (Illinois/Iowa).

Michael

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Dead easy to change, but your system for reconfiguring the router may be different.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Getting a new peovider is easy. Getting out of the contract with your current provider depends on the contact conditions you have with them I would talk to them first. But technically it is no problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Plug and play.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual

and dont forget that if you use the email by that provider that you might want to back up any important emails or make changes where you have used that email as a way to contact you, etc.,etc...

Posted 2 years ago

Chromehunger

@vistual we have an exchange server. Obviously I am not an IT guy--several years ago I started work on MSCE but stopped because I didn't have a couple of computers to use for networking. Now I have several computers. How ironic.

So, with an Exchange server, is it still dead easy?

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Shouldn't effect your networking That has nothing to do with your ISP. They all go through the same router.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.