How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Moving files from C to D drive

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Ted16
  • Latest reply from Ted16
  • Topic Viewed 6894 times

Ted16
Ted16

I am trying to make room on my c drive to download windows 7 by moving them to my D drive.
I am using drag and drop in My Computer. I have managed to move most of them but when I come to delete the files on the C drive most of them give me a message " Cannot delete. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is currently not in use:

Also there is a file called programme file which seems to have all the programme files in it still and one called common files. How do I deal with them.

My D drive has now gone from 20Gig to 15 gig but the C drive does not seem to have increased at all which I assume is still all the files I cannot delete.

Trying to get this sorted before the windows 7 offer finishes.

If at the worst can I download windows 7 to my USB hard drive just to have it and then move it to the C drive. Scott has pointed out that I cannot run it from the USB drive as needs to be booted.

Just found out that I cannot open the files I moved to D and deleted in C so am obviously doing something wrong. :HELP:

Thanks,
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

1. You can only move your own files, not system files.
2. Rather than drag and drop, I suggest you use this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....lick-menu/
3. You may want to read this: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-58649

Posted 4 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

As WHS pointed out,you cannot move system files as these are part of the operating system.

You can only move data files-text,photos,music,backups of your document files desktop,favorites,email messages,browser functions and the like.
These last ones require digging around in Documents and Settings and could be complicated.

However,you can move all of these using a data backup manager like GFI backup manager available HERE and burn onto a DVD,for later transfer to Win7 by copying from the DVD

As regards your current OS,you will have to lose that when installing W7,as new OS overwrite the old completely.
You could possibly dual boot both,but would be too complicated for you.

So suggest you back up your data either on to the other disk or DVD and install W7 over the current system,assuming there are no upgrade or incompatibility issues.Do a Google referring to your current OS etc.

If when installing and it turns out there are problems-STOP- otherwise you could lose your current OS without being able to install the other.

Suggest you read up on installation matters re Windows.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

Thank you whs and Mikisu,
The programme files I moved were all ones I have downloaded or put on with CD. They have moved ok to the D drive and I now have found will open up if accessed from the my programme files. Would not open up from Desktop icons.
I made sure I did not try to move anything to do with windows or system.
These are some of the prorammes I have moved ok but cannot delete from the C drive to give more room. Real;Uniblue:Open Office2.4:Movie Maker:Java;IRIS; Ashampoo;Acronis etc.
As time is now limited to get windows 7 were there any thought on just storing it on my ext.drive (not running it) so I can transfer to the C drive when I make room or am prepared to buy a bigger internal hard drive to load it to.
Thanks for your suggestions'
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

Ted
what you are doing is completely pointless -really dont know what you have in mind.

As I said the only files you can save are the data files ,nothing else will work when you install W7.

If you hope that all the old software will work-it definitely wont.

All must be reinstalled.

So dont waste your time and effort-save only the data.

The only correct procedure in your case is to install over Win7,thats assuming your current OS is compatible.
Very important.

Dont waste any more time-just wait till Win7 is available.

You will have to clean up the mess of all the moved software files also

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Ted. The 3rd party program files have to be installed to the other drive/partition, you cannot just move them.
You need to keep the C:\Program Files folder in place (certain programs will only install to C:), but you can also create another one. Mine is D:\Program Files.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16
Ted16

(Resolved)
Thank you Mikisu & LH
LH I understand now about the files so thanks for that. I could re install them but will wait as Mikisu says. I did know that Windows 7 will take over XP but like a fool I did not mention I was going to put it in Vbox as my main concern was how to delete the C files to make some room for vbox as rec. by whs. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again,
Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!