The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

move files with very long names

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Backward57
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 9094 times

Backward57

having trouble finding or creating a shorter root path to be able to move files with very long names to an external hard drive from my hard drive
Thank You

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Sorry, I don't understand your problem?

All I can think of is the target drive doesn't support long file name (FAT FS)? Either that or where you are trying to move the file to, the combined filename and the path you are moving it to exceeds the filename size?

Can you be more specific please? Example of source filename and target path? Filesystems on both source and target drive as well?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Irv is probably on track with that. I've had problems moving files with long filenames if the path is pretty deep and/or the folders also have long filenames. The obvious solution is to shorten file and folder names. Another thing that might help is a file copy utility called Teracopy. It makes copying large number of files easier and faster and helps with difficult files, such as ones with long filenames.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Dear Friends,

I have created many folders & files with long names such as "Politics - Economy - Bailout - Geithner Under Fire for New York Fed E-mails directing AIG to keep quiet about its disbursement of $62 billion in bailout funds 01 08 10". I used spaces in the titles to sort them in order of importance in my Documents folder on my hard drive in a Vista systems PC. I am trying to move the folders & files to a folder on an external hard drive titled "Documents - Politics". I thought I had some success by moving the "Documents - Politics" folder from the external hard drive to my Desktop to shorten the path & then move folders & files from my hard drive into it & then moving the "Documents - Politics" folder back into the external hard drive. But when I tried to either "cut" or "copy" them, I got the usual message to either skip or cancel many of the folders & files because the title was to long for the receiving source. Even some of the folders with shorter titles have files in them with very long titles. I am trying to move these folder and files to a external hard drive to free up disc space on my PC. I know I should have known better than to create such long titles but now there are so many that it is very very labor intensive to try to go back and shorten the many titles.
I will try the Teracopy software if you think that would allow me to move them without shortening all the many many titles. Thank You

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, the only alternative might be a BATCH FILE RENAMER... some should work better than others.

If you have a LOT of files with the same starting structure, like "Politics - Economy - Bailout" you could create a directory structure of \Politics\Economy\Bailout and then rename all the files deleting "Politics - Economy - Bailout" and then those should copy over to the new directory without problems.

Google BATCH FILE RENAME and you'll find quite a few, some are free, some are not, and some are really geared to renaming pictures and putting a sequence on files.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Teracopy is free, btw.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Dear Friends,

Although I probably didn't use Teracopy to it's fullest potential, it helped greatly in that it gave me a list of the names of the files that couldn't be cut or copied to the external hard drive. I just now realized how computer illiterate I am when I found that I only freed up 3.5GB of disc space by moving all those files. I ran a free trial program called "Folder Sizes 4" Disc Management Sofware & it said that "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft" was using 91.6 GB of my 147 GB hard drive & that "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSN" was using 86.3 GB of disc space while allocated 86.8 GB & "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" was using 4.97 GB of disc space while allocated 4.97 GB. I don't know if I can access the "MSN"folder properly & if I do, can I safely move the "MSN" folder to my external hard drive? Can I safely move the "Outlook" folder to my external hard drive? Also does anyone know if there is a similar software program to "Folder Sizes 4"? They want $50 for one copy & $25 more to upgrade to "Folder Sizes 4 Pro". If I were to need to use the software it woulf be a worthwhile purchase but I wouldn't ever use it that much. Heck, I use "CCleaner" 3 times a day & you can download that for free(plus whatever donation you want to give). Take Care & Thanks again for the advice so far.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Dear Friends,

I just clicked on the "MSN" folder inside the "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft" folder & it said it was only 22.9 MB in size. I don't understand where or what the "MSN" folder is that the "Folder Sizes 4" shows to be 86.3 GB in size. Take Care & Thanks again. P.S. I just realized that I have misspelled disk as disc. Oh well, another senior moment.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

SPACESNIFFER is a similar program that shows who/what is using disk space and is free. Another one, cheaper than Folder Sizes 4 is DISK ANALYZER PRO that does the same thing.

A few things and questions about what you posted for sizes... are you SURE it is GB's and not MB's? Disk size of 147GB's I'd believe, but not "C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Microsoft" using up over 1/2 the disk space? My entire "C:\Users\Irv" uses only 8GB's for instance? "C:\Users\Irv\AppData\Local\Microsoft" uses 110MB's... either you've interpreted the results wrong or there is a problem with the program. Get Disk Analyzer Pro (free trial) and check those numbers against it. It shows on my computer the Windows folder as the largest at 15GB's out of 171GB drive.

Disk space is consumed 2 ways, well, there are 2 parts to every file. The actual size and allocated space. Some File Systems 'waste' more disk space than others too. Waste is what is at the end of a file. All File Systems allocate space based on the size of a file. However, an FS can not use a block of disk space for more than one file. Let's take the simple case, a TEXT file that you create with NOTEPAD. You put into that file 200 words and you have 20 blanks and 10 line feeds for a total 1000 characters. Now the FS needs to write this to disk. Assuming the FS uses a single 512 byte sector as a block, you need 2 blocks to hold the data. 1000 bytes (1 per character) will then use 1024 byte of disk space. So file size is 1K and 1.024K allocated...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Dear Friends,

Thank you again for all the info & suggestions. I have been distracted by family matters & couldn't post a reply until now. I did download TeraCopy & it seems to work fine for moving files. However I was correct(double checked it by clicking on "Properties") in that my db30 file in the MSN folder is 87 GB & when I used it to copy it to my external HD the list of the names of the files that couldn't be copied to the external hard drive was & is very vast. When using TeraCopy earlier to move much smaller groups of files, the list of uncopied files was small & I was able to deal with them easily by shortening their titles. Now the list of uncopied files is very large. I still have the list of uncopied files in a TeraCopy active window & my question is what does the "Delete" button in the middle of the "Verify" button & the "Menu" button do? Does it delete all the uncopied files or delete the files that were copied from the source to the external HD. If it only deletes the files that were not copied out of this active window, it's not going to be much help. I've had too much bad luck using the "cut" transfer of files(permanently losing them)which I know would the easiest way to keep tract of uncut/moved files. Unfortunately I now only trust copy & then go back & delete. I know I'm making a big problem by doing this. If I may ask another stupid question again; is there any service that I can pay for(& be able to remotely take over my computer) that would have enough MSN e-mail hands on knowledge to help me savely move this huge db30 folder of MSN Hotmail messages to my external HD & also show me how to eventually move some of them back into the MSN & Hotmail Inboxes to read, delete or store? I contacted my MSN Preium tech support & after 2hrs of trying different ways to move the files safely, they had me move them with TeraCopy with which the results I am unsatisfied with. Hope to hear back from you guys. Thanks again, & Take Care.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Hello again,

It's me, computer illiterate Backward57, asking if there is a software program or a way that I can delete just the files at the source that were safely copied from the source? How wonderful a program that would be. Hope someone has a suggestion. Take Care & Thanks again

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The best way is to get a PROGRAM that compares folders, both by FILENAME, TIMESTAMP, and CONTENT.

One would be THIS program.

I've used PCMAG's WMATCH3 in the past and I understand a new version might be on the way?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Backward57

Hello,
It's me, computer illiterate "Backward57" back again, asking if there is a way to find out what very recently(like in the last 3 days) is using up my HD disk space again. I thought I had the problem solved but in the last 3 days, my HD disk space is disappearing again without my permission or knowledge. I now purposely put any new saved items into my external hard drive. My thought process is not allowing me to figure out exactly how to use either TreeSize Free or SpaceSniffer or any other suggested software to find out what folders have increased in size within the last 3 days. I believe somehow "<" or ">" can be used but am not sure as to exactly how. Take Care & Thanks again

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Might want to start a NEW SUBJECT so others can see what it is about and offer help.

Only way I can think of is do do a DIR /S >SAVE.TXT and every day do it again incrementing the SAVE.TXT to SAVEn.TXT where n is another iteration indicating a different day. Then using a FILE COMPARE program on pairs of SAVEn.TXT to see what gets added/grows.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!