The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - move application from one pc to another pc

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 503 times

LarrySr

I have a PC that is running Windows ME and I want to move an application from this PC to a PC running Windows XP. I am going to stop using the Windows ME computer and I want to put this application on the computer running Windows XP. I have lost the original install CD for this application. Years ago I had a software program that was able to move applications. I think it was called Cleansweep but I am not sure. Does anyone know of a piece of software that can move applications between computers if you lost the install cd?

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

With Cleansweep you had to have it installed before you originally installed the program, and it didn't transfer the software it just made sure that all traces of it were removed, hence it kept a track of all files & their installation locations so, in theory you could transfer them individually to a new machine, but it wouldn't have been foolproof. As to changing to a totally new system then that would be almost impossible as ME and XP are based on different filesystems so the locations wouldn't be the same anyway.

What application is it? There are sites around that keep older software going, or there may be a newer alternative.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr

I have been given this old Gateway computer that is running Windows ME. I managed to repair it and get it working again. I plan on giving it to some student who cannot afford a computer. But, I would like to update it to a copy of Windows XP that I have before giving it away. I have install disks for Microsoft Office 2000. The current Windows ME systems is running an anti-virus software package from Computer Associates that appears to be working good. I do not have the install CD for this anti-virus software. I wold like to move it to the Windows XP disk that I am creating for this computer. If I cannot move it; does anyone know of a good free anti-virus software package that I could install on the Windows XP hard drive that I am building?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

You can install the free Microsoft Security Essentials on XP no problem.,

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.