The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Mouse Problem

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bkellis
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 778 times

bkellis

In Windows XP on Mouse Properties, you can click enable program-specific button settings. I had to add a program to this to get my mouse to scroll in an old program I use. I would like to have this ability in Windows 7 Professional that I have installed on another computer, but I cannot find it. If this is available in Windows 7, please help me find it. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Who makes your mouse?

Posted 4 years ago

bkellis

It is a Microsoft wireless.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

You probably need to install the Microsoft software for the mouse to customize the buttons. Go to Microsoft.com, hover over 'All Products', mouse to 'Mice & Keyboards'; click Download Software in left column, and tell it what your mouse model is. This should download the appropriate software. See if this gives program-specific settings.

Posted 4 years ago

bkellis

This program, Adobe PageMaker, I assume was sold before the wheel on the mouse came out. All functions of the mouse works, like moving the cursor around on the page and the right and left click, except the wheel. I have the same program loaded on my desktop and had to add it to the mouse functions to make the wheel work. I have to go back to Mouse Properties and open it each time I load PageMaker to make the wheel work. It is also a Microsoft mouse but it wired. I am just trying to find enable program-specific setting in Mouse Properties in Windows 7. I am beginning to think it is not there. The program work fine except for this wheel function being inoperative.

Reports: 1 · Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

How old is your version?

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

How old is your PageMaker Version?

Program specific settings aren't in the default drivers & software from the OS disk. One must download & install the software for the mouse on a new installation. Then you should get a tab on Mouse Properties that has the extra options. (At least, that's how Logitech does it)

Posted 4 years ago

bkellis

I have downloaded and installed the software for my mouse, and it does show the Enable Program-specific button setting. I added my program to the file as in my desktop computer, but the scroll button on the mouse sill does not work when I open a PM document. I will keep working on the problem. I appreciate the information. At least I have the setting now.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

I ask about the age of your PageMaker, because the original version looks to me to be before the adoption of a 3-button, then scrollwheel mouse.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.