How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Mouse keeps freezing

(34 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by richmondreb
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 11769 times

richmondreb

Hi gang,
I've got an easy one for you. On my parents computer, the mouse keeps freezing while my dad is playing a card game.
The kind where speed counts. This has happened before and I've changed the mouse several times from wire
(with roller ball) to (without roller ball) also tried wireless. Can anybody give me any idea's on how to deal with this and keep
in mind, I know 'VERY LITTLE' about computers so tell me in 'LAYMAN TERMS'!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Robin

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

FYI,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The card game he's having problems with was downloaded from a site found on line.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

Help someone, anyone!!!!!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Not entirely sure what you mean by "freezing", but have you tried turning the mouse mat over ?

Sometimes a crease or hair etc...on the mat can cause brief "freeze like" moments.

Where did he download the game from ?

Did you try a malware scan ?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

When playing, is the game online (requires internet connection) or is that optional? Can you play the game offline?

If it's an online game, perhaps, playing with someone else online it could be that your internet connection could be slow.

If it's while playing offline then do as GuiltySpark suggested. Also, check to see how many programs are running in the background.

Give us that machine's specs.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

I downloaded the game off IE and you don't have to be online to play it.

@ CompWiz, How do I get the specs??

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Try this-

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

What brand of mouse are you using and what software including the versionand revision. This helps in making sure the drivers are for XP.
The mach specs also help.
Does the mouse freeze any other time?
Try playing another game that requires fast mouse movement and see if the mouse reacts ok.
The game your Dad is playing, is it for XP or a newer windows version like vista or win7?

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

@ GuiltySpark,CompWiz & germ-x,
For some reason my parents computer isn't connecting to my router so, I'm unable to get the machine's specs.
This much I can tell you,
#1. Avast! Internet Security is always on and they have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
which I was planning on doing a Full scan but, couldn't.
#2. The mouse brand is IROCKS IR7900 OPTICAL MOUSE and there isn't any software, I just plugged it in.
I did flip the pad over but, it froze up a couple of times while I was trying to do other things.

@ CompWiz, I don't think there was any other programs in the background but, how can I tell ??

FYI; the game is Golf Solitiare, all the others are poker games.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

CHANGE OF PLANS FOR THE TIME BEING..........
My Mother's computer is using my Wireless Router and it may need another Adapter, BUT !!
one thing I noticed this morning was it kept freezing up while trying to connect. Which makes
me wonder if it's the computer that's going bad.
QUESTION????????
Will the specs show exactly what's causing the freezing problem, to mouse and computer??
I hope I don't need to break the bank fixing this problem............ :-(
Will get you the specs as soon as possible.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

The mouse brand you posted is a little on the less expensive side without and drivers. Just a plug-n-play which doesn't make for a good gaming mouse.
That said, there might be other problems with your mothers computer. What are the spec'sof the computer and have you ever reinstalled windows?
What is the make and model of the wireless adapter?
Has she kept up with windows updates?
Is the XP version SP2 or SP3.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok gang, sorry it took me so long, I finally got the spec's but, it won't copy and paste,
so how can I attach it??????????????? Please explain in Major Layman Terms!!!!!!!!!!!!
@ germ-x ,
Make and Model of wireless adapter is; TRENDnet TEW-432BRP and the XP version is SP3.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

Helloooooooooo !!

Have you given up on me already?????????

:-(

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Follow this tutorial to post screenshots : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=16

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

Thanks GuiltySpark but I just screwed that up and tried something different.
Copy and paste the link below into your address bar, hit enter and there's the spec's.

C:\Users\Robin\Pictures\Screenpresso\2012-07-01_20h49_58.png

So if someone would be good enough to let me know what my problem is, I would
really appreciate it.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

That link doesn't work.

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

Well, if I did this right............ here's the spec's

Posted 1 year ago

richmondreb

YEAH, IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Just a thought, not much ram. Maybe an upgrade in that if possible.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

All I can think of at this stage is to check your mouse connections, the PS2 pins may be bent or it may have been inserted into the wrong socket.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!