The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Motherboard dead?

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by dwindsor49686
  • Latest reply from dwindsor49686
  • Topic Viewed 2861 times

dwindsor49686

OK, my PSU recently died on me. It was smelling bad and dying slowly i think. i cought it in standby mode, i thought, and turn off my comp. i got a new psu today, installed it and got 1 long beep, 2 short beeps on POST. i'm figuring it is video card error. Reseated video card, same prob. no display just the beeps. Hard drive is active, fans run (cpu and gpu and motherboard and psu). i'm guessing that the motherboard got fried when the PSU went, but why would graphics card be the first signal? Or did it just fry graphics card? i have no other system to test video card on. when i pull the ram and video card and start it, still get the 1 long beep, 2 short beep. I think i'm just going to buy a new motherboard, because i'm not sure what else i can do at this point with the resources i have. any suggestions would be helpful. Asus motherboard, 7600gt video, amd 4400+ x2, thermaltake 480w psu, 1 gig ram (512 x 2), 250g HD, dvd burner/player. and no onboard video available.

Posted 6 years ago

wheelgunr

According to the Asus technical support site, one long beep followed by two short beeps indicates a memory error, not a video error. Part of the POST is to run a memory test, and if it doesn't pass, it won't finish processing the POST, and the system will halt.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

wheelgunr is correct...

there's also a good chance that the power supply fried the motherboard and/or the ram as well.

You could also try each memory stick by itself to see.

Posted 6 years ago

dwindsor49686

wheelgunr and supermansghost:

i'm very happy that you brought up that the code means Memory and not video card. i tried putting the ram sticks into the other two slots, and it worked!!! unbelievable, i would of never thought of that because i'm just stubborn like that. after reading your suggestions, i did research on my asus board, and apparently this board is prone to have one side of the slots for ram burn out. maybe thats what happen when the PSU died. i'm just glad it wasnt my video card, ram, or board that completely failed. thanks again guys!!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!