The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Motherboard and video card

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by haydosrulz
  • Latest reply from JonMCC33
  • Topic Viewed 1236 times

haydosrulz

hi does this video card (PowerColor Radeon X1950 Pro - 512MB DDR3, 256-bit, 2x DVI, HDTV - PCI-Ex16
(600MHz, 1.3GHz) - Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 Edition) do good for playing games

is this motherboard good for games(Asrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+ Motherboard
LGA775, P35, 1600(oc)FSB, 4x DDR2-1066 + 2x DDR3-1333, 2x PCI-Ex16, SATAII, RAID, WiFi, 8-Ch, GigLAN, Firewire, ATX)

And do both of them work together well???

Posted 5 years ago

whiplash55

Nothing to demanding. I actually have the same card, it works fine for what I play, which tend to be "lame" according to my teenagers. I'm thinking of getting a ATI Radeon 4850 in some form.
Video cards are incredible for the price now so you can find bargains.

Posted 5 years ago

haydosrulz

what about the motherboard???

Posted 5 years ago

whiplash55

It's a nice board, you can run a Penryn on it but not Nehalem I believe. The mobo is way beyond the graphic card in capability. I'd save up and get the new Velociraptor (WD 10,000 RPM HD) if I was serious about gaming.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Whiplash55, which new Velociraptor are you referring to? You say that like there aren't currently any available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....toreType=0

Posted 5 years ago

haydosrulz

sorry i do not understand because the Velociraptor WD is a HDD and i was asking about motherboard?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Haydosrulz, I think that what whiplash is getting at is that the most important components in a gaming system are the CPU, the GPU, the hard drive(s), and the memory. Any stable, reliable motherboard can host all of these other components so it is less important.

Posted 5 years ago

whiplash55

@ScottW
From what I hear the new 300 GB Velociraptor is the best if you want to spend $279.
And yes I also agree that any decent stable, reliable MOBO is fine. I like MSI boards but Asus, or Intel boards are fine. Depends if he wants to overclock. I've heard a good rule of thumb is to spend about the same on the CPU and the GPU.

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@haydosrulz
That X1950 Pro is quite capable of gaming. I still have an X1900XT in my rig. Although it's nearly 3 years old now it still plays current games at all high settings (like Call of Duty 4). The only game to really bring it to it's knees was Crysis.

That motherboard is decent but I would look for a P45 chipset instead. It runs cooler.

A VelociRaptor HDD will make no difference in gaming. My main drive is a 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 and I am one of the first few people in most servers for FPS games.

Posted 5 years ago

whiplash55

The hard drive is the biggest bottleneck for speed on computers today.
The faster hard drive makes a huge difference. The GPU might be adequate, but vastly superior cards are available today for pretty cheap. Depends if you want something that could play games coming out in the next year or two, or just play games that came out a year or two ago.

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@whiplash55
If you are playing a game the HDD isn't even being used. It's only use for gaming is when loading levels/maps. As you can see, it's not much faster: http://www.anandtech.com/stora.....spx?i=3303

Certainly not worth that much money. If you are going to spend that much then get a 64GB SSD for performance/gaming and use a 1TB 7200 RPM drive for storage. This is all of course besides the point that the OP asked about a motherboard and video card.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!