• Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 6083 times

whs
whs

http://arstechnica.com/microso.....-vista.ars

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I just read in this same context that the W7 upgrade program will start during the next days - in the US. In Europe, this will not be offered because of the browser mess that was created after the complaints of Opera and others. MS says, it is technically not possible to provide the upgrade program given the EU rulings.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I'm Guessing those "El Cheapo" Upgrade Editions will turn out to be real albatrosses when Service Packs / Updates are released and Slipstream Installation DVDs need to be made.
---
Wouldn't touch an Upgrade Edition of any MS Product.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Microsoft to sell Windows 7 for $50
---
MS Want YOU !!!!

http://www.computerworld.com/a.....2009-06-25

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Let's keep an eye on it. For $50 I'll get one to play around with my SSD in the fall.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

if these are retail prices what do you think the oem's will sell for? although $120 is a reasonable price. that is if it's a full version, not an upgrade

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Windows 7 pre-orders are now available at the Microsoft Store in the US:
http://store.microsoft.com/mic.....tegory/102

Prices starting at $49.99 for the Home Premium "Upgrade".

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Very good. I ordered one. I wonder how they verify the "upgrade" part. I could be someone that does not have any Windows - since you can do an installation from scratch.

Posted 5 years ago

JH

EU are a bunch of troublemaking swine. Basically ordering MS to remove a major selling point of the OS is a typical piece of EU nonsense; I take it this means an in place install will no longer be possible, so if we want to save reinstalling all our programs we will have to export the registry and copy the files?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If one does not know how or is to lazy to do a basic Clean Install of a New O/S, one should NOT be calling others swine my friend.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, if the upgrade version of Windows 7 is like Vista, it will ask you to put your Vista install DVD into the CD/DVD drive to verify prior ownership. If you don't have such a DVD, you will have to install over an existing copy of Vista.

And, if they have learned their lesson, they won't allow a simple trick to bypass the previous ownership check as they did with Vista's upgrade versions. More about the current upgrade paths and procedures can be found here at Microsoft.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, I only have the DVD that I burnt from the recovery partition. You think that might be good enough?

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

<----- feels like an idiot, well the EU made him that way, lol.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, I doubt that a restore disc on DVD-R will work for the Windows 7 upgrade installer. However, you should be able to install onto the system that created the restore disc as long as Vista is installed on it. You can do an upgrade install or a clean install over the existing copy of Vista.

Instructions on how the current upgrade install is done are here at Microsoft, but it's rather confusing.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, the problem is that I want to install W7 on my SSD. I was never able to install Vista from the recovery disk and with the Ghost copy function there were other problems as you may remember. So what I really want to do is leave Vista on my HDD, disconnect this and install W7 on my empty SSD - so there is nothing to install it over it.
The reason for all of that is that I really don't want to use W7 as my production system but rather stay with Vista - at least for the time being. I just wanted to experiment with W7 and the SSD.
Maybe I should call MS - do you happen to know how to call them on a normal area code number because from here I cannot call an 800 number.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, it is certainly confusing. There is a section in the installation guide (last link, above) that talks about a clean install when: "You want to install Windows Vista on a separate partition of your hard disk, and you have an operating system on your computer and an available partition." I would think that you could do the same if you leave the hard drive with Vista on it in the system. The upgrade installer will see that you have Vista, by looking at the hard drive, and should allow you to install Windows 7 to the SSD. However, I would also expect that it would somehow prevent Vista from running when it's done.

At the bottom of all of these MS support pages is a link to "Contact Us" which talks about how to reach MS support by phone, e-mail, and chat. If you change the location from United States to Germany, I would expect the Contact Us link to give the appropriate phone numbers.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks, I understand. I will get in touch with them in the US since the offering does not exist in Europe and I ordered under my US address. Just out of interest I also found this workaround. Maybe that would work with W7 too.

PS: do me a favor. Get the info off the "contact us" link. I am automatically rerouted to the German site and cannot get at the US info. Maybe you can post a snip. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 7 pre-orders grab Amazon's top sales spots .......
http://www.computerworld.com/a.....2009-06-26

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Question. Can someone update from an OEM Vista that´s over a year old, if so what would the options be? Matt

Someone asked me, and I haven´t got a clue!!!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Matt,
---
This is a Pre-Order Sale so YES from the info below.
---
"According to Microsoft, the Windows 7 upgrades can be purchased and used by users currently running Windows Vista, Windows XP and the even-older Windows 2000. For the latter two operating systems, however, Windows 7 must be done as a "clean install" that deletes all data and applications; users must back up data before the move to Windows 7, then restore the data and resinstall all applications. Only Vista users can do an "in-place" installation that leaves data, Windows settings and applications intact."
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.