• Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 6083 times

madmacs

Thx Rick. :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Matt,
---
As I CAUTIONED above; Builders, Families with multi-machines, Enthusiast / Hobbyist and Small Businesses should consider the Full Editions of Windows 7 at the low prices in lieu of the Upgrade Editions for obvious reasons.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

whs, here are the snips that you asked for. These support pages at MS certainly give you the run-around trying to force you to a web page instead of revealing the contact information. To get these images, I told it this was a retail version of Vista Home Premium and the topic is "Setup". There is no Windows 7 help that I can find, and the list of topics is sparse.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

whs, also regarding the upgrade check, I was saying before that any "tricks" that worked on Vista are not likely to work on Windows 7 since these are well known and MS can easily plug the holes that are known to work. The Software License Manager (slmgr) trick that you linked to has already been mentioned on this forum and many others for (supposedly) extending the Windows 7 RC timeout. The old trick of doing a non-activated install, then an upgrade install with one of the original Vista Upgrade discs has already been plugged on new Vista discs, I believe.

Of course, some enterprising new hacker may find another way around it. For me, this explains why they started using Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA). The only way to surely enforce licensing is when the user "calls home" for service packs, updates and so on.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Thanks ScottW. I will try to find someone in MS who can answer the questions. But first I have to find a way to call the 800 numbers. As to the "tricks", you are probably right - that is not something one can rely on.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

other than wmc and aero would windows7 home premium work on a netbook? i'm just not liking the xp the netbook came with...

Posted 5 years ago

LH

It will

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

it better, i just ordered 2 :P

Posted 5 years ago

LH

What netbook ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

How do you plan to load them with no CD/DVD ????
---
Hope their Bios initializes the USB bus on boot for external devices otherwise, all I can think of is making a network deployment installation package which is NO easy task plus somehow doing a clean install over a network.
---
Tis beyond the tools and utilities I have.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

lh, i sold all the notebooks and desktops i built, thanks to howtogeek. dell had a netbook dell10v for $249 i ordered in preproduction. think they're $100 more now.
rick i have an external dvd burner i was able to reformat the hard drive when i first got it and remove all the junk dell loves to pack in their computers, then reinstalled xp from it. after playing around with windows7 on new hard drives it seems to be able to detect everything. if i have a problem i'll be back here asking why you didn't stop me from doing this :p

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Oz, from today...

http://www.mobilemag.com/2009/.....ash-drive/

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Good you can get into the machine with the External USB DVD Burner.
---
That's what I meant about the USB being initialized by the bios during boot.
---
These custom machine Bioes do a good job of initializing the USB devices in several modes during boot but didn't know if the OEM Netbook Machine Bioes would or could do the same.
---
I'm sure you can handle the O/S change now that I know the External Burner will work with the Netbook. :) :)
---
Edit: It can be done with a Flash Stick also like Scott indicates above. Have done many Laptops with XP.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

One more,
http://windows7news.com/2009/0.....-yourself/

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

good articles, i would get everything on usb drives if they came that way. on the second article about making bootable usb drives. i've made iso copies of vista for a couple of the notebooks that had recovery partitions. is it possible to make an iso of windows7, and transfer it onto a usb drive? would it boot and start the install process?

i'm saving the second article on my site. it's a good reference i can use

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i was wrong, i didn't make them iso, i copied vista to a folder and burned it to a dvd

i think ~> ???

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.