SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

monitor - what should I look for in buying new monitor?

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by villaverla
  • Latest reply from villaverla
  • Topic Viewed 3986 times

villaverla

I need a new monitor to use with my laptop. This may be a stupid question, but all the ads list different things. What is really most important? I don't want to get something that my 3-year-old laptop can't support.

I have a Gateway laptop, it supports up to 1440 x 1050 resolution. Is reponse time or contrast ratio more important?

I work as a software trainer, and just use the monitor at my home office. I also write documentation, and use screenshots, so I want as good and clear picture as I can get. Will a widescreen really allow me to view 2 or 3 documents all at the same time more easily?

Thanks for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

I would get a flat screen LCD that supports 1140x1050 resolution. You will definitely have more screen real estate with a wide screen monitor. You will want to make sure the monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs.

Since you using it looks like your using it for documents and business... and not gaming any 19" wide screen monitor under $200 should be fine. 700:1 contrast ration will be good enough.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think mysticgeek means 1440x1050... you can actually get an external monitor with a different native resolution than your laptop. It'll run the second monitor with a different resolution than the main screen.

I use this one, a 20" widescreen... I love it, and it's cheap, nice bright picture.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6824116075

Actually I have 3 monitors, but that's beside the point =)

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

thanks for your help. I did go get a new monior. Now I have another question ... the resolutions that it suggests are not the ones that my laptop provides. For example, it recommends 1600 x 1050, and my laptop only shows 1600 x 900 and 1600 x 1200. So the picture is stretched. I assume this is the difference between 16:10 and 16:9, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to correct this, or should I take it back? Will a different monitor make a difference?

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

Oh, the reason I ask is because I capture screenshots of software in the manuals I create, and they look out of proportion. The database I work with cannot be resized, so I just have to live with whatever it looks like on the screen, and I want to make sure it looks like what people who use the software will be using.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!