How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Monitor Sleep and Print Spooler Issues

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by benjetson
  • Latest reply from benjetson
  • Topic Viewed 504 times

benjetson
benjetson

I have just recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my laptop, and since, I have had some issues. One, Whenever I have to print, I manually have to start the print spooler service, even if I select an automatic start. Two, When Windows instructs my monitor to sleep, my monitor displays "VGA Cable Disconnected." When I connect my laptop to another monitor, the external monitor will sleep. My monitors are:
Dell 1908WFP
Toshiba Satellite L305 Built-In Display (Laptop)

Any help is appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Not sure about the Print spooler issue, although I would guess that updating the printer drivers might help that problem.

However every monitor make and model is different as to how it reacts to sleep mode. They all have different messages or none at all when the computer detaches in sleep mode. I would not be concerned. Using the option to simply turn the monitor off works better for me than sleep mode.

Posted 1 year ago

benjetson
benjetson

This monitor used to be hooked up to an old desktop of mine (via VGA, Windows XP SP3 x32), and it reacted to sleep by turning off the screen and changing the color of the power button to orange.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Widows 7 is not the same as XP. I also personally would never use sleep. It often become flakey. Setting the monitor to turn off after a time is almost as good and works more consistently.

Posted 1 year ago

benjetson
benjetson

That's what I'm trying to say, I'm sorry, I should have used different wording. When the monitor is told to turn off by Windows, It displays "VGA Cable disconnected." The monitor turns off after 20 mins on batteries, 30 plugged-in.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!