The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

monitor resolution problems in windows 7

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by byrdieep
  • Latest reply from byrdieep
  • Topic Viewed 1535 times

byrdieep

I just installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my hp pavilion 16660t desktop system. I have an Nvidia geforce 8400gs video card. I run 2 monitors Dell E196FPB and Dell E177FP. Problem is that since installing 7, the recommended resolution for both these monitors is 1280x1024. This is way too high for these monitors and my 53 year old eyes. But, if I lower the resolution, I get dead space above and below the windows. If I lower them to the resolutions I prefer (19 in - 1152 x 864; 17 in 1024 - 768) I get lots of dead space and the clarity goes way down. I've tried downloading and installing the windows 7 compatible driver for the graphics card. Same problem. I contacted Dell and they say there are no windows 7 drivers for these monitors. They said I could install the windows xp driver in xp mode. But since there is no .exe file in the downloaded xp folder I don't know how to apply this mode. Anybody have any suggestions other than going out and buying two new monitors????
Thanks in advance!!
Byrdie

Posted 5 years ago

at0mic

go to start> control panel> hardware and sounds> nvidia control panel and adjust your settings through the graphic interface.

Posted 5 years ago

byrdieep

I've tried that. Same problem. NVidia says 1280 x 1024 is the native resolution for both monitors. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

right click on desktop, go to personalise, then click on <display> in the bottom left corner, you can change things from small (defalut) to medum and large.
do you have the latest forceware drivers from Nvidia? also in the Nvidia control panel you can create a resolution, under the change resolution tab.

Posted 5 years ago

byrdieep

I downloaded and installed the latest 64 bit verision. Computer is showing : Driver Version: 191.07 - -
I now have the resolution at the 1280x1024 with the font size at 125%... Print on this page is still pretty small.... but the window does tak up the whole monitor screen. I still feel something is wrong... I never had to use this high of a resolution before, and I never had to lean forward at my desk to read the material. Why aren't the resolutions that have worked in the past working now? Thanks for your time!
Lisa

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.