How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Modem/Router Question

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 8444 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I'm New to DSL. I noticed there seems to be routers that are not modems. And I've noticed there are Modem that are also routers. My question is do you haft to use to the modem/router that your internet service provider gave you to get online?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

No, but it has to be compatabile.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

It is also up to your provider whether or not they allow it, and may void any particular guaranteed service.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Even if your ISP, like mine, REQUIRES you to use their combo modem/router, they will BRIDGE the router part so you can use your own router. Bridging essentially turns the combo modem/router into a modem, turning off the router parts wireless signal, DNS, and NAT functions.

Modem part is probably required, but some may allow you to have your own. Check with your ISP.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Usually you get a modem from your ISP. To that you can attach your PC with an ethernet cable (no router required). But if you want to have WiFi capability for other PCs in the house, then you need a router. Those you can buy for $40 and up.

There are also routers with integrated modems. I use one of those from netgear. The advantage is that you have only 1 box on the desk and that there are no compatibility problems. But those boxes are a bit more expensive. Mine cost $90.

A third possibility is to use a modem plus an ethernet switch. To the switch you can attach several PCs - but they will have to be all wired with an ethernet cable. A switch costs around $20 and is useful if all PCs in the house are close together (like in the same room).

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

The reason I would like to upgrade my modem/router is so that I could use it with openDNS. I'm still having problems getting this thing to do it. If the guys on openDNS forums are correct, then my modem doesn't work with openDNS because it's cheep.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Does the modem have a place to put in DNS addresses? If not, it is possible that there is a Tomato or DD-WRT flash for it that does have it. Most routers I've seen have that though?

You can also set your Internet properties to use a specific DNS and not have the router get them for you.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

It seems that it does not have a place to put in DNS addresses. Also I tried the OpenDNS program for the computer, and got confused with it. Last year I had set that up to work with my old machine. I did get it to work on it for a short period of time, but I couldn't keep it working. Anyways after I switched internet providers, and got a new computer, I couldn't figure out where my settings are, or how to get the program to switch to a new IP address. It's a bit hard to explain. Anyways I don't want to go down that path, because sometimes I will be attaching other computers to my server, and if I can get it to work with openDNS then everything is will automatically work with it. At least that is how I understand it. o.O

I tried to create an openDNS entry, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Make and model of router please?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

MAKE: NETGEAR
MODEL: 7550

* Additional Information:
On the bottom of the modem it is labeled model B90-755044-15

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I can't find the manual? Seems to be either a rebranded AT&T or Frontier DSL modem>

You might have to ask your ISP for help here.

I'm not sure the page you have shown is really what you want? Domain name usually isn't set nor is those DNS names?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

It is a rebranded Frontier Modem, and I already asked them for help. :(

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

This Thread has become a continuation of my old thread:

I have an OpenDNS / Router Question

I feel like I need to apologize because it seems like I keep hitting road blocks. :(

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I made a video expressing ... how sorry I am about how hard it's been to solve my question and other questions.

OpenDNS - Router Apology

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

@gregoryshock125, I think that this is a first. Well done. Apology not needed however.

Posted 2 years ago

quickstub

hello, quickstub here, i have a question i have a new frontier b90755044-15 mod-rou. and trying to get it to work on att dsl -can you configure it to work or is it impossible, i have tried everything and can't find any good news. i may have to buy a att 7550 from att. any help would be appreciated. quickstub

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

quickstub hi. Please start a New Topic for your question.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.