The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

MMP with Firefox -- does not update on restart

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by yasolin
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 3966 times

yasolin

I have previously downloaded and installed the Move Media Player to watch videos on ABC.com. It asked me to do this again a few months ago so I figured it was probably an updated version. When I download the add-on it says that it will be updated when I restart Firefox. When I restart Firefox (no matter how many times) it never updates and I have not been able to watch any videos--very frustrating since it worked perfectly before. What can I do to make firefox update the add-on? I've tried downloading the player a MILLION times.

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

Upon doing some further research, none of my add-ons are updating when Firefox restarts. That explains a lot!! That's why my ThinkVantage Password Manager has been totally out of synch and driving me crazy lately too. Actually, that's another problem--the password manager add-on says it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0.3. Does this mean I should uninstall my current version of Firefox and install an earlier version? What would you recommend?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

This may help,
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/b.....ead.id=937

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

Thanks for that but the ThinkVantage is the least of my concerns. I really need my add-ons to update!

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

I have the Move Media player plugin working in Firefox. I can try, emphasis on try, to help. The success rate is not perfect, I need for you to know in advance. For the future, lets stick to one issue at a time.

I'd suggest you uninstall the Move plugin. After you have done so please report back. Oh, what OS are you using, Vista or XP?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Looks like Vista :)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Go to your USER folder>App Data>Roaming>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles>click on the folder>and type in 'Move" in the search box.
This should bring you to the MovePlayer folder which you should delete (if it's still there).

Post back after this step.

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

I feel ridiculous that I cannot locate that file.. When I click on the user name there is no App Data folder in there. If I click 'All Users' instead, there is an App Data but only a 'TEMP' folder inside.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

The AppData folder will only appear if you have view hidden files and folders turned on.
If you want to get to the folder without turning on view hidden files and folders just put shell:appdata in the address bar and press enter. It will take you to the AppData\Roaming folder.

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

Okay I've gone in and the file is no longer there. What is my next step?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Sorry for the late reply...

Go to http://www.espn.go.com (for instance) and try to play a video. You should get a popup asking for permission to download the latest Move player.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I just wanted to jump in and say that I think the Move Media Player is flakey. It gives me fits, too, and we recently had a thread by another member who was having trouble with it. On one system it will work in Firefox, on another I have to use IE. So, you might try using IE just for the video watching with MMP.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Dubya, I think the problem exists within IE too.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Scott, I think the problem is with the plug-in / add-on and that yes, it can affect IE as well as FF. I'm suggesting that if it doesn't work on one browser, try the other. If it doesn't work on one system, try another. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it works and when it doesn't, at least in my experience.

Posted 6 years ago

yasolin

Aside from MMP, my biggest problem, like i said, is that NONE of my extensions will install when firefox restarts. This is causing me multiple huge problems and is what I REALLY need an answer to. Also, the MMP still shows up in add-ons that have yet to install because none of them will do so. Please help with this!

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

OK, how about using a fresh profile?

Close Firefox
Run
firefox -P
Create new profile

Do not delete your old settings.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Crea.....on_Windows

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.