The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Missing Snap-ins for Task Scheduler in MMC

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rogerpman
  • Latest reply from rogerpman
  • Topic Viewed 1271 times

rogerpman

Having decided to change some update settings in the Windows 7 Home Premium Task Scheduler in MMC I find that when I click on the Conditions tab a message pops up saying, MMC has detected an error in snap-in and will unload it.
As a result I cannot make any changes to the settings.

Relaunching the Task Scheduler does not resolve the problem. A further dialogue box says the snap-in is unavailable.

Although I can usually solve all my computer problems this one has got me beaten.

How does one replace missing snap-ins?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Darn, I had this problem too a year or so ago. I can't remember HOW I fixed it?

If you Google "MMC has detected an error in snap-in and will unload it" you will find many messages on this with solutions.

Hope it helps.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

rogerpman

Irv,

Thank you for your reply. However, I had already put "MMC has detected an error in snap-in and will unload it" into Google and Bing and had a look at very many messages. Unfortunately none offered a satisfactory reply to solve the problem (which appears to be quite a common one).
One option is to do a "Repair" of the operating system but that seems too drastic for a small problem. I don`t want to have to install all the MS updates again.

The Task Scheduler is the only one causing problems in the MMC. All the others work well. Very frustrating.

Roger.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I am not sure what I did as I said. I think I was able to open the scheduler but could open and tasks? I think what I had to do was EXPORT all tasks, then delete them all? Then start importing them one at time, and after each make sure they worked. My computer started at Vista and was upgraded to W7, and I think I discovered it to be a bad task that I didn't need?

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm just drawing a blank on this.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

rogerpman

Irv,

"I think what I had to do was EXPORT all tasks, then delete them all? Then start importing them one at time, and after each make sure they worked...."

I don`t suppose by chance that you recall exactly how you did this, please? Where did you import them back from if you had deleted them after exporting?

My computer was also initially a Vista Home Premium, upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium.

The problem wasn`t present a month or two back.

Roger.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Import them from where you exported them too...

In some of the posts I found via Google Net Framework V4 I think was the supposed culprit? Maybe you updated it recently?

I am at a total loss of what I did, sorry. I normally do NOT keep notes.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

rogerpman

Yes, my Microsoft .NET Framework is version 4.5, and has been for some time, but if that is the culprit why would it only affect the Task Scheduler in MMC?

I can use Event Viewer, Performance Monitor, etc., without any problems at all. It`s just task Scheduler which throws a wobbly.

Roger.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.