How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Missing operating system?

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by nike1
  • Latest reply from nike1
  • Topic Viewed 2322 times

nike1

Hey.

Two days ago i was about to upgrade my Windows 7 beta to the final edition when i got a message saying i had to little space left on my harddrive. Since i have two partitions, i thought i could move some more space from D: to C:. I've done that several times before and i've never had a problem like this.

I started the operation, and waited. After about 1 hour it was on 99%, and it was stuck there for about two hours. So after three hours of waiting, i cancelled it and just shut down my computer hoping i didn't break anythig. Ohh and btw, i used Paragon Partition manager for this.

I remember that when i shut it down (at 99%) it showed it was on this step..:
Quick data moving

The morning after (yesterday) i booted the computer up, or well, i tried to, but i was met by an error saying:

Interrupted operation: Insert the Recovery CD or other Recovery Media…

After a bit of googling, i inserted my Win 7 cd and booted from it. I then entered this into the command prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr

It said "Command completed sucessfully" or something similar to that. After rebooting again, hoping it would start, i was met by another error. Sigh.

"Missing operating system"

And now i'm kinda stuck. I have no clue what to do, and i have lots of important files on my harddrive that i just can't loose!

I have Windows XP installed on drive D and Windows 7 installed on C. (dual boot) I started the operation from Windows 7..

Any advice(s)?

Thanks in advance!
-Nike

Posted 4 years ago

Santo

The possible reasons are...
1. The BIOS is not detecting the hard disk.
2. Hard disk has a hardware issue and it is damaged.
3. Windows Master Boot Record in the hard disk is corrupted.
4. Windows Partition in the hard disk is no longer active.

You had mentioned that your computer has dual boot. Have you tried to boot from the other OS?
If you are able to boot from other OS then try to access the files in the OS which fails to boot from the "Computer" window. But if you are not able to boot then the only option that can be tried to recover your important files will be to connect the hard disk to a different computer and then try to access the files.

Posted 4 years ago

nike1

When is start the computer i'm met by the error saying "No os found" almost directly. I'm not able to start Windows XP. :/

I'm using a laptop right now, is it possible to connect my harddrive to my laptop and backup all my files? If so, how?

Thanks a bunch!
-Nike

Posted 4 years ago

Santo

You may have a look at these...

Accessing data using USB Enclosure

IDE Connector.

Posted 4 years ago

nike1

Thanks.

The problem i have is on my desktop computer. I want to transfer data from my desktop computer to my laptop.

Is that possible? Or can i only use that adapter to transfer data from my laptop to my desktop computer?

Thanks once again.
-Nike

Posted 4 years ago

nike1

Please answer my question above if you can. :)

Thanks in advance.
-Nike

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.