The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Missing HDD after battery looses power.

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Quintrala
  • Latest reply from bigp-london
  • Topic Viewed 576 times

Quintrala

I have a desktop computer that Can't Identify the HDD drive, does not see it, everytime the battery looses all power. I remove it, install a different HDD working or not and reinstall the original HDD and it sees it again. What could be causing this?
The computer has a new HDD and battery.
Has 1.87 GB RAM
I installed Windows XP.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Quintrala, Post the make and model of your computer. Are you talking about the CMOS battery?

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

It,s the regular battery. The laptop battery, not COS. Model Inspirion 1721 DELL.
Came with Windows Vista. It died and had only a blinking dash.
I bought it a new battery and HDD and installed XP on it. All drivers where also installed. It works fine but as soon as battery levels go critical and or 0, when booted back on it can't see the HDD until I remove it, install a different HDD and remove this one, then reinstall the XP HDD.

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

Plus when it finally sees the Hard Drive, it takes forever to load XP. It does not take long for desktop icon but takes about 3-5mins to load XP.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Is it a desktop or a laptop look at your first post.

Edit: get organised and explain exactually what you are doing and why. Take your time and post what happened.

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

It is a laptop computer. Sorry about the error on the first post. I was bought with Vista in it. That HDD was not working and when the computer is turned on with it it only shows a linking dash in it. Like DOS linking line. It does not shows on CMOS. I then bought a new HDD, installed XP in it. It worked fine, suddenly it said no Hard Drive detected. I proceeded to look in CMOS and it was not there either. I removed and re install the HDD and still same results. I removed it and plugged the old HDD, had same blinking light as before,. The, I re installed the new HDD and it worked fine. Suddenly, while the new HDD was working, the laptop battery had it's power drained. So it gave a critical battery power pop up. It has some good CMOS features to it that help you in cases of CMOS hardware failure and check the motherboard status and all. Well, thing is, after the pop up for low battery came in, I went to look for the charger and when I started up the computer again, I had again the no Hard drive error. Did the remove, install another and re install the XP HDD and it worked again. So I'm thinking the error in recognizing the HDD comes from when it looses the battery power. When it has no power at all it creates it. Now, how can this be solved?
Plus, another problem it has is, when it's recognizing the HDD then it takes now up to 15 mins to load XP. Does the CMOS boot but from there to the desktop is taking forever. I tried many different msconfig configurations and unchecked the antivirus (which, BTW, has now totally stopped working, LOL) and unchecked the Open office and google updater. Those where 3 services which where starting at start up but where not MS services. I expected the loading process to be faster, but it actually is slower now.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Okay, need some time to digest your infornation.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

How did you install XP as there are NO XP Machine Device Drivers for the computer on the Dell site ????
http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....piron-1721

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

The cool CMOS feature is called pre-boot system assestment, Build is 4106. It says no bootable device error 2000-0141. I now had battery in a 98 % level and just did a reboot after checking Avast in the msconfig again. Internal Hard Disk Drive not found is the message I'm getting and then it offers me to do an onboard diagnostic which I did and gave me the Error above.

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

I have an image CD disk for XP. It works great in other computers, like the one I'm currently using. It worked fine in the laptop too but suddenly stops and restarts after performing the change of HDD I have done many times.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

It sounds like the CMOS battery is dead if you can't see a hard drive on boot possibly. Not the POWER battery to allow the laptop to run without AC, but the one that RETAINS the BIOS settings. As long as you have battery power the CMOS will be 'ok', but once it drains, it no longer will have power to 'stay' at its settings.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Quintrala

I'll try to change the CMOS batery and if not solved will come back. If solved, I'll also let you know! TY for the assist.

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

regardless of what the CMOS losing the settings - it should still recognise the drive in the computer. It is reasonably irrelevant what O/S is installed at this stage.
there may be a setting in the BIOS that sets the type of hard drive it is looking for (legacy, sata etc).
if replacing the battery does not resolve the problem - this would suggest a problem with the m/board.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!