The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Missing Boot Manager After Installing Windows 7

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by scman
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 2096 times

scman

Hi everyone, I did an upgraded (customs install with format HDD) from Window XP 32bit to Windows 7 64 bit last night and have the following problem

The initial installation went well without any problem. However, when I switched the computer on this morning I found the error message "BOOTMGR is missing, Alt+Ctrl+Delete to restart". Then I switched the boot sequence from HDD to CDRom with the the Windows 7 disc in, the computer starts up normally. I tried the "Repair" function in Windows 7 Installation disc but it found nothing to repair. Can someone please help? I don't want to boot the pc up with the installation disc in every time.

Below is the bcdedit of my pc. By the way, I am a PC novice so I need clear illustration in every step.
Thanks very much for your in advance.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume8
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {d61f0b9d-dcb2-11de-9ec7-ba3dcaa4d3d1}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {d61f0b9f-dcb2-11de-9ec7-ba3dcaa4d3d1}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d61f0b9d-dcb2-11de-9ec7-ba3dcaa4d3d1}
nx OptIn

C:\Windows\system32>

Posted 4 years ago

scman

now I unplug the 2nd HDD (IDE 80G for data storage) and ran Windows 7 repair option couple times the Missing Boot Manager disappeared. However, when I plugged the drive cable back to the mobo and re-start, Windows 7 did not recognize the drive and show no drive letter. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

jfbetel

hey scman,you never did say what is on your other HDD. However plug the second Hdd in and start windows again with the disk. go into the repair computer section of your disk,when window opens go into the c:/prompt and see if your second hdd is there. if it is type in dir hit enter and see if there is anything on that hdd. if there isn't then just format the drive and the reboot the computer. it will then only see the os and should boot. after that you should see your second hdd in "my computer".if you have xp on the one drive then you might have to use the xp disk to correct your xp instalation.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

scman, take out the 2nd drive and then try again. Are you 'upgrading' from Vista/xp? also I notice you are going 64bit from 32bit so does your processor handle this? I think you cannot do what you are trying to do.
List your system (laptop/pc); you may have to reinstal XP however if you formatted!! (noted in your post).
Someone will point in the right direction thereafter.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.