The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - mIRC woes part 2: working with Windows 7

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by NYCaribou
  • Latest reply from NYCaribou
  • Topic Viewed 4233 times

NYCaribou

A while back I had requested help locating log files from mIRC in Windows Vista. The folks on the forum helped me solve the problem very quickly and I've been a happy mIRC'er ever since.

Well... I've just upgraded to Windows 7, and what cropped up immediately upon doing so was no simple search for a hidden file.

On closing mIRC down after using it with Windows 7 for the first time, I immediately got a popup saying that mIRC absolutely required a missing windows component called agentctl.dll, and on doing a help search, learned that it was part of a program called Microsoft Agent, which is not supported in Windows 7.

The Microsoft website supposedly listed a hotfix but did not show where or how to download the files.

Tomorrow is my weekly D&D game on Internet relay chat. I apologize for the last-minute nature of this post, but if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to send them along.

mIRC SEEMED to work fine when I used it the first time, but that popup worried me. I don't want it suddenly up and absolutely FORCING a total system reboot mid-game-session because of this problem.

I am using version 6.12 of mIRC. I am *NOT* willing to upgrade to 6.31 because of a whole truckload of additional infuriating annoyances, spamming popups in my web browser and stuff.

EDIT: Problem details gave the following technobabble:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: ApphelpSoftBlock
Problem Signature 01: {11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111}
Problem Signature 02: {6778C39C-2003-4A36-8328-BB4974F74AAD}
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Posted 4 years ago

NYCaribou

Hi folks, I would have deleted my post except that I don't have the proper privileges to do so. I found the answer I am looking for, on another forum. This is now resolved and I will mark it as such.

Whoever uses mIRC with Windows 7: You can safely tell the program compatibility assistant, "This program is working correctly" and not worry about hotfixes or anything. mIRC still works normally.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!