The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Minor need for info

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by planner3
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 288 times

planner3

I'm preparing to donate an XP laptop to a young person who cannot afford to buy one. Being as I'm disconnected from young people by at least 65 years I could use some input from those of you who have preteens. The Laptop I have has been converted for Gaming purposes, (stripped of most OEM stuff), recipient can't get on line. Lappy still works fine. I would like ideas of what I can download or transfer from my other computers that he/she can use, that I can re-install. I have no backup discs for this comp, it has no restore drive setup. Any help out there/here would be appreciated. TIA Chief

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@planner3,

Moving your thread to Geek Suff where you will probably get your best answers.

Gmod.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I assume the laptop still has an MS sticker with a license number on it? If so, I'd get a d/l ISO for the OS and do a CLEAN install to it. Then give it away. As it stands now it might have a lot of 'hidden' personal data on it and some kids are far smarter (or will be) than you and can find that stuff.

I'm around your age and have grandchildren. No two are the same and desire different computer games. Even programs for school work.

As I'm sure you know, license agreements do not allow multiple copies to be run on different computers. Let the child populate the laptop as they see fit or need items is probably the best way. If they will never be able to connect, let them tell you what they want and then get those programs for them is best.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!