The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

migrate win 7 32 bit to 64 bit

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mvtrnj
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 281 times

mvtrnj

i have purchased a new 64 bit PC running Win7 Home Premium. All my existing PC's are running 32 bit Win7 Home Premium. Is there a step-by-step guide to moving my 32 bit software & hatdware to the 64 bit PC. I realize all of my drivers need to be changed and I am sure there are other factors I must take into consideration.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Is there any particular reason you want to upgrade them to 64bit? Apart from being able to use more RAM there is little advantage to the home user and it won't affect networking them etc. But in answer to your question have a look at Microsoft's FAQ section

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Sorry, I've just re-read your post & realise it was a different question. As far as the software is concerned you shouldn't have any problem installing software on the 64bit machine - most recent software installs quite happily. As far as the hardware is concerned, it depends on what sort of hardware you mean. Again, most recent hardware comes with 64bit drivers but you will need to check, probably the manufacturer's website is your best source of info.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

If you want to stay with your 32bit system you will have to load win7-32 bit on your new computer but you will need to have all necessary drivers available once you boot up.
Don't know what all software you have installed but it should be easy to visit the software websites and verify the software will run on 64 bit system. Some will and some you will need to get the 64bit version.
There are a lot of happy or unhappy campers out there since all new machines are shipped with 64bit O/S

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I have had no problem using Windows Easy Transfer found in the Accessories->System tools folder. This will transfer all your files and settings and prepare a report of the programs you must then install with links to their website in many cases.l

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.