The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Migrate programs to new OS

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by rebell1952
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 4154 times

rebell1952

I would like to know how to migrate programs from an old OS to a new one, such as when doing a clean install of Windows 7 from Vista, so that I don't have to spend days reinstalling the programs from the old OS.

Posted 4 years ago

Shieldwolf2012
Shieldwolf2012

For single or small deployments of the Windows 7 operating system, you may be able to use either the upgrade feature in Windows Setup or Windows Easy Transfer rather than USMT to migrate or maintain user settings and files.

You can install Windows 7 as an upgrade to an existing installation of Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 using the Upgrade option during installation. To maintain settings when installing Windows 7 on a computer running Windows XP, you must migrate files and settings using a tool such as Windows 7 Easy Transfer and then reinstall your software programs. Windows Easy Transfer (Migwiz.exe) is installed with Windows 7 and is available on the Windows 7 DVD in the Support\Migwiz directory. When running Windows Easy Transfer from the DVD, double click MigSetup.exe to run the application. Additionally, if you are installing Windows 7 on a new computer, you can transfer settings and files from any other computer running Windows Vista or Windows XP by using Windows Easy Transfer.

Select one of the following scenarios to upgrade or migrate files and settings to Windows 7:

Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. This scenario provides steps to upgrade a computer that is currently running Windows Vista to Windows 7.

Migrate files and settings to a new computer. This scenario provides steps to migrate files and settings from a computer running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 to a new computer running Windows 7.

Migrate files from Windows XP to Windows 7. This scenario provides steps to migrate files and settings on a computer that is running Windows XP to a new installation of Windows 7.
Migrate from Vista to Win 7

Posted 4 years ago

Shieldwolf2012
Shieldwolf2012

Or if you want to spend $20.00 try laplinks PC Mover
Laplink's PC Mover

Posted 4 years ago

rebell1952

It's like nobody actually READS my posts. On the Microsoft Answers website they actually told me to use "Backup and Restore" between Vista and Win7 and apparently they didn't know those two utilities aren't compatible. Anyway, "files and settings" ARE NOT my concern, and I am NOT moving to a new machine (so Laplink's utility won't help), I am only changing the OS on my current machine. What I need to know is if there is any way to migrate "PROGRAMS" (ones that are ALREADY installed on the machine and running under Vista Home Premium) when doing a "CLEAN" install of Windows 7 Ultimate on the SAME machine, wherein an upgrade isn't possible. Not only does it litterally take days to reinstall the programs, but often there are programs that I paid for, but that I can't reinstall WITHOUT paying for them again!!! I suppose I could save a copy of the registery from Vista and then manually input all of the information after upgrading the OS (and that might actually be faster than reinstalling - especially when it comes to programs I have to pay for again), but it would be nice if there were a way to avoid hours and hours of reinstalling or reconstructing the registry.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

OK. No you can't. Unless you make a copy of every specific registry entry, specific entries in the Windows folder, Program Files, Program Data, User AppData files, and more, for each program you want to keep.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you do a clean install you better have about a month to backup and try to manually input in all the proper folders/ files/ registry as LH mentioned. You can upgrade from Vista to Win7 in approx 2hrs and it works very well. Windows will make 2 folders with of obsolete Vista information that can be deleted after the upgrade. This way you don't have to worry about reinstalling any software.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

rebell1952

Is the registry in Vista the same as the registry in W7? In other words, would one be able to merge the two registries? Also, what good does it do to have the previously installed programs in the .old folder, can they be moved to the Program Files folder in W7, or do they have to be run out of the .old folder? What about "cut and paste" from the old registy to the new one?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

There is no clear 'road map' for every program ever made on how to move it from one computer to another, period. As LH as said, besides the primary program folder, almost ALL programs put other parts elsewhere. Parts can be under the folder USER, in the Registry, in the various C: drive folders such as Windows, Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, and sub-folders under those, as well as other named folders.

The Windows Easy Transfer generally will allow you to 'move' and then 'merge' back MS programs and Windows customization you have done. PC Mover by LapLink will do more in that not only what Windows Easy Transfer does, but other non-MS programs as well, but by no means all.

Doing an in-place Install, an Upgrade, generally speaking will keep almost everything that was on the system before. The reason being is that they keep the old file structure AND contents that was there when the Upgrade was started. That means ALL the 'parts' needed to run all your programs remains. It means that the entire Registry is retained, and instead of creating a new one, it either ADDS or REPLACES entries needed to RUN Win7. The process first copies non-Windows specific files it finds into 2 saved folders in case you should need something it missed. Then it starts replacing files upgrading them to the needed levels. No guarantee it will work 100% and there is a chance you'll either need to re-install some programs or locate data that wasn't moved, but generally speaking, it (upgrade) does a good job.

I also should tell you, depending on your h/w, and how many programs you have, it can take a significant amount of time. Mine took 3 1/2 hours to complete the upgrade, and I have an Intel i7 -920 with 8GB's of RAM. There were times I thought NOTHING was happening, all I saw was the drive light flicker, and I had to resist the urge to turn the computer off and try again.

As for 'merging' the Registry, no, you can't. The best your could do is save parts of the old one and load those parts into W7's once installed. However, it isn't easy determining what you need always. Many programs hide the license in the registry, but it is encoded that you can't recognize it, and may not even be in a hive you would associate with a program.

A 'back-up' program that saves the entire disk image will not work either. Well, if you can 'open' the back-up and retrieve individual files, it would, with a lot of work (see first paragraph), such as Norton Ghost which has an image view/explorer, and allows single file recovery.

For most users, an Upgrade is the best way to accomplish what you want. Next best choice is a transfer program, and the completeness of the amount of programs transferred is dependent on the transfer program used.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

rebell1952

Does Microsoft do this crap on purpose or what? Never mind don't answer that. Thanks for your time and patience. I'll just consider myself lucky that the machine runs better than under Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

This "crap" as you put it, exists because us, the users demand it. We want to run old software. Ideally a new OS would be written better than the last, but would require totally new, rewritten software.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!