• Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 892 times

vistamike
vistamike

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-10-01

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Once all the Microsoft-manufactured Tablets are in full-swing the app-store model will make a lot more sense, as there will be no other way to get apps, even if there are not 5,000 apps available on launch day. And if the tablet strategy fails, they can just patch the Start button back in and keep Win8 moving that way.

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

agreed above

i strongly believe that once touch is fully compatible with windows 8 it will work a treat, look how much use the app store and play store have had!

However these 2 stores are not really designed for tablets (Ipad maybe ) However once microsoft develop the apps feature it should be leading in the industry.

Yet i believe this will take a few years to work (Possibly windows 9 or whatever they want to call it )

The Sad Truth is that 8 might just be like another vista.

Yet the OS after that might possibly turn out to be as successful as windows 7 !

Vista has that aero theme, and windows 7 just develops on the idea.!

I mean look how successful win7 has been !

Have fun with Windows 8 !

:)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Win8 is going to need more than just a start button restored to get me interested.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

@djhull3917: Do you mean that the new MS app-store is not intended for Tablets? "these 2 stores are not really designed for tablets (Ipad maybe )"

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Thinking wrong...

How will go to W8 to make it matter... do you think BUSINESSES will go on day 1? Doubt it, needs training and probably going to Touch Screens, on how many machines? Change in-house apps maybe?

For the Surface RT, well, it would be like running your PC on a 128GB SSD, but what will the RT cost? Too high, who will be buying?

As for the actual store, how much CONTENT control will MS assert? For years developer's have used undocumented API's and memory contents. All sorts of tricks. How do you think the 'Metro' page was by-passed? If they apply strict rules to apps to be sold, they might force developer's to flee. Not to mention the MS profit cut.

This is NOT an easy answer. Time will tell.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 8 RT has been forecast by many to be a "flop" from its' inception.

If anything, Windows Pro has a much better chance of success if the pricing is competitive.

Comparison of RT vs PRO

http://www.windowstablettv.com.....os-to-get/

Which Version would you choose if given a FREE machine of your choice ????

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Interesting article.. I believe integration with Win8 desktops is going to be key in the first few years...if I could install RT on my Kindle fire I would consider it, but then I would lose all of the built-in Amazon features. The ability to install over the Kindle OS will not happen, at least officially. Since RT will never be sold, only preinstalled, it looks like I would wait for PRO, by the looks of things. One glaring question, will my Desktop Office license, for example, entitle me to install a PRO Office app on a WinTablet? Or will each have a separate license and steep price? Having to pay more will hinder integration/cross-platform cooperation on a staggering scale. Especially right out of the gate. There is something seductive about reading my email on my desktop at work at 5 pm, grabbing my PRO tablet going out the door, and continuing to work as before on my train ride home.

Posted 1 year ago

lasiegeek
lasiegeek

I don't understand why MS didn't come up with an app store in Windows OS? If they did, it will be so much easier to access non-virus infected softwares like the Mac Store.

Hopefully Windows 8 will have it.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

The App Store is definitely already in full swing, although I am seeing absolutely zero paid apps so far. Lots of freebies... If you have Windows 8 you should see it in bright green with a white shopping bag icon. If it is not visible you will need to tell the Start screen All Apps and then find it, then pin it to start screen. I think I disabled it when I first installed Win8, so had to put it back.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!