The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Microsoft Word / Office 2007 ----> 2003

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JeffMayo
  • Latest reply from coates719
  • Topic Viewed 12130 times

JeffMayo

Is there a way or method to make word 2007 appear as word 2003... I cant seem to find anything without spending extra time looking for it...

Jeff

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Not that I know. And why would anybody want to do this anyhow. You can, however, store files in 2003 format.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Agreed - why would you want to - is it about not finding features?
Generally if you cannot find something jsut search eg: 'insert clip art word 07'
that'll do!

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

You can't make it look like 2003 but i find this extra tab helps me find exactly what i want:

http://www.officelabs.com/proj.....fault.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

MousePotato

@whs and Aleeve:

Why would you want to?

Well, for me it's because of the changes that make my everyday work FAR less efficient. And the fact that the commands I've used to customise Word's behaviour either no longer exist at all, or have changed so much in presentation and behaviour that they are no longer useful. I can't think of one single thing that's better for me in Word 2007 compared to Word 2003.

I do understand the general basis for the changes, but I'm a long way away from what they're targeting as a typical user. It is such a nuisance to use that I now go back to my 4-year-old machine with Office 2003 on it whenever I need to do any word processing. When I can find myself a "new" Office 2003 package for my new 'puter, Office 2007 is GONE!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

There is nothing wrong using word 2003 if that is what you like and are used to. But you cannot expect a new product to look like or encompass everything of an old product. Downward compatibility is an iffy subject and very often a big stumbling block for progress. That is one reason why Vista is so bloated. They kept far too much stuff from the past. If all the legacy stuff was taken out, it would probably shrink by 60%.

Posted 6 years ago

MousePotato

Oh, I know. As a software developer myself I have to consider those the same issues in my own work. But I still wish they'd keep the bits that _I_ like! ;D

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

What kind of software do you develop? I was a software developer for 35 years - mostly operating systems.

Posted 6 years ago

JeffMayo

Thanks for the responses.

Did not have the time to "learn" a new gui and was looking for a way to save me the time... just had to spend the time customizing the tool bar.. but still had trouble finding a way to make word 2007 mark the table of contents text with auto formatting incorrectly.. had that figured out in word 2003...

Those that asked why? to save me some time...

thanks though... and thanks Coates.. I loaded the extra you suggested.. will see how it works.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

I found this:

http://www.addintools.com/engl.....efault.htm

It will cost you but it does bring back the familiar 2003 layout.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That looks neat. I guess they found a market with those that don't have the time or ambition to study new stuff.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

Office 2007 can be very daunting when first used, but i've found it quite user friendly and the first add on i posted works well to find hidden commands/icons (and it's free).

I would rather learn the software than fork out any more money, but that's just me.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.