The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Microsoft Word 2007 Problems

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by rpeters1428
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 16964 times

rpeters1428

I have Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate inside of Windows Vista Ultimate and I am having problems with Word specifically inside of the Office suite. I can open up Word just fine and load documents (both doc and docx) inside of Word but after that I cannot edit text, select text, or do literally a thing with the documents. The application itself loads up and loads documents just fine but it's almost like the document is frozen but the application is running fine. I got help from another person that said to repair the Office Suite and I did that and restarted the machine and it didn't help. I would like to repair the suite without having to reinstall the office suite, but if I absolutely have to I will. Also, I should say that every time I close Word a dialog box comes up saying that Word is not responding after the whole application is off of the screen. It tries to find solutions and then tries to get the data back that it lost (document) but it can't find a solution. Please help.
Thank you

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

I would guess that there is some type of add-in being loaded with Word that is causing the issues, or else there is some type of problem with the installation. You have two steps you can try:

1) Under the office tools folder there is a diagnostics, which will check for common issues. This is your best bet.

2) You can try some of the steps from this microsoft knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Posted 6 years ago

wcarlson

And now to add to this mystery... I'm the owner of the computer being worked on by rpeters1428 who started this search for a solution...
I got frustrated and said to heck with it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Office Ultimate 2007 thinking that certainly that would get me back to square one - WRONG.
I'm still there with the inability to edit in Word.
Does anybody have a clue what tree I might bark up next?
I can operate by loading up with winword.exe /a but I sure don't relish the idea of doing that indefinitely.
Any suggestions are better than where I am now.
Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

rpeters1428

For some reason the re installation of Office 2007 Word still does the same problem. The article you sent me I haven't worked with yet because I have to go to work, but the guided help won't work I don't think because I am running Vista, and the requirements didn't say it would work in Vista. The compressed file will download and then extract the files somewhere on my PC and then nothing literally will come up. I assume like all things that extract from Microsoft that they will come up after the extraction is done. I will look at the article later today after work and see if I can work with the registry without screwing something else up.
Thank you

Posted 6 years ago

rpeters1428

The knowledge base article worked and I deleted a registry key (Data) in Word and it fixed it and it works like a charm.
Thank you

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Glad we could help!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!