How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Microsoft warns of IE8 lock-in with XP SP3

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2672 times

raphoenix

All,

Beware my friends. Read the article in its entirety.
http://www.computerworld.com/a.....#38;nlid=8

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Blah, blah, blah. I couldn't read it all, it was putting me to sleep. Seems like this is all IE8 beta problems. Is anyone running IE8 beta? What's new and good about it?

There are some apps that I prefer not to be betas or even release candidates (RC). My browser, my e-mail, my OS. Backup software, defraggers, and security are also apps that I don't want to be a beta tester for. Let someone else suffer through all the bugs and instability. I would have to be very desperate to run a beta of my "core" apps.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@ScottW,
The article was posted for the less informed folks who might visit HTG. I would expect you to already know of the issues as you indicate in your comments. Sorry it put you to sleep. Why did you click on it in the first place (LOL) (LOL).

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

@ScottW

IE8 is an incredible upgrade in the features department... I'm still a Firefox user, but nobody should be embarrassed to use IE anymore after installing Beta 2. We've got a run-through of the features scheduled to run in a few hours =)

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mys.....-8-beta-2/

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

@Rick, I just wanted to be part of the discussion. I have XP SP3 and will probably have IE8 someday -- maybe when Windows Update pushes it down. You said read the whole article so I was just making it clear that I didn't.

@The Geek, all those features are good. My only worry would be that all the built-ins would cause bloating and slow performance. We won't really know until the final release. I would have liked to see more security features. Protected mode was a great start, but there should have been some follow-up in IE8. How about ActiveX controls running in a VM (a la Java)? How about a way to keep BHOs from becoming Browser "Hijacker" Objects? This would also have been a good time to overhaul the Security Zone business which I think few users understand or use properly, except for us geeks. Well, it's a beta so maybe some new security features will show up before it is released.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.