How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Microsoft to raise Windows 8 upgrade prices by 5X

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 670 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

When discount ends in less than two weeks, Windows 8 Pro upgrade jumps to $200.

Time for folks to make a decision unless they are independently wealthy.

Full Story:
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2013-01-24

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

One can certainly buy a couple for future use as I have. I have found with most releases that I will eventually either use them or a friend will want one.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It is a very confusing article with all the "Upgrade Speak".

Probably best to purchase Windows 8 Pro OEM from Newegg or Tiger Direct and do a Clean Install.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6832416552

The same goes for those that want to use Windows 7 forever.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6832116992

This way you have your own Genuine Installation Media for the machine no matter what O/S shipped pre-installed.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

No worries for me. I have three copies of Win 7 (2 Ultimate and one Home Premium) and will be skipping Win 8 altogether.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

LF,

You are covered but if the installations are on DVDs, then need to put them on Bootable USB Devices as well.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

So what will this mean for prices of OEM/System builder media? I am confused now. Will Windows 7 OEM media prices also go up, even though they were not in any sort of promotion state? I mean...buy the upgrade to pro for $199, or buy the OEM pro disc for $140? Can't see any info about OEM

Posted 1 year ago

NawlinsJeaux
NawlinsJeaux

What about upgrading to Win8 pro? I don't want to buy the $14.99 promotional upgrade for my laptop without someway of getting it on hard media. Not sure if I wanna change over to 8 or not. But, don't want to miss out on the promotional price. Yes, my laptop was bought during the req'd promotion period.
Any suggs how to get it to DVD/USB, or obtaining them direct from MS?

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

@Nawlins Just do Complete Image backups using Macrium Reflect Free (info and tutorials already in this forum, extensively!) of both your Win7 now and after the Win 8 upgrade and you should, theoretically, be able to switch back and forth at will. You can do a clean install of Win8 using the upgrade, as I am told. There is also a ton of info about this in the forum.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

@NawlinsJeaux : The 40$ (15$ if discount applies to you) will allow you to save the installation files as ISO which you can burn to a dvd. This is your physical media. During the checkout you can also select to buy the physical media (for 15$ more) which will be sent to you by regular mail (but keep your money and save the ISO - it's the SAME media, only with a MS Win8 sticker on it as opposed to you writing down 'Windows 8' on it ;) )

Basically, you run the upgrade assistant, buy the license, write down the activation key (which will be shown on screen and sent to your email), download the files, save as ISO (it says right there during the procedure [DO YOU WANT TO SAVE ISO?]), then you exit the upgrade assistant, burn the ISO, and clean instal OR upgrade whenever you want.

Posted 1 year ago

NawlinsJeaux
NawlinsJeaux

Excellent!!! Thanx, so much for the info!!!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

This Discount applies to Builders also, just use your motherboard model number when filling out the info page.

I wanted the DVD also and MS messed around and sent me (3) free DVDs. (LOL) (LOL)

Is a GOOD DEAL and there's some "tricks" you can do with this special offer. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

presence1960
presence1960

When I purchased Windows 8 Pro the download also installed a program with a shortcut on the desktop to burn the iso to DVD (which I think is unneeded) or to make a bootable USB (again unneeded).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Make the ISO so you can make multiple installations on multiple drives on the Same Machine for Backup. :)

Then Dual Boot from the Bios if an installation gets messed up with a virus or such..........

Is a Backup. No Foul, No Harm.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Microsoft has reported a fall in profits despite a boost in sales from the technology giant's new Windows 8 operating system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21190744

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

When I purchased Windows 8 Pro the download also installed a program with a shortcut on the desktop to burn the iso to DVD (which I think is unneeded) or to make a bootable USB (again unneeded).

'unnedded' only if you plan on 'upgrading' as opposed to clean install, or if you purchased the cd for 15$ (and that is just giving your money to MS since the ISO and what they send you is exactly this same thing). But if you plan on upgrading, think ahead. Maybe some day you will want to clean install. So make/burn that iso to disc.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

@afuhnk: There are other programs to burn an iso to DVD and other methods to create a bootable USB.So actually it is unneeded! BTW whether in Linux or Windows I NEVER do an upgrade, always do a clean install.

I was making the point that the program they install on your machine is unneccesary, not burning the iso to DVD or creating a bootable USB.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!