Microsoft Surface RT vs. Surface Pro, differences explained

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from Straspey
  • Topic Viewed 763 times

raphoenix

Differences Explained:

http://www.product-reviews.net.....explained/

Would be interested to know what HTG Members think and when will the Surface Pro be introduced ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Rick, basically the RT can only run apps from the App Store... and it is the same that is on W8's Start screen. Many are just like Apple's and I suppose other tablet app stores.

The 'real' product can run both the 'metro' apps that the RT can run but also probably most Windows apps. So this would make the Surface (not the RT) more like a netbook or ultralight laptop. I'd suspect cost to be in that range as well. The RT, like any other tablet I guess, dependent on app store for apps and a decision point in the purchase of it.

As for the Windows store I've seen many that 'echo' what I can get on my iPad. I loaded USA Today onto the W8 machine and like it (it is 'different' from the iPad app). A few others too, but in general, none are worth having in my estimation on a 'real' computer, especially if one has any tablet.

Price and the market situation at the time of release will be a deciding factor for many.

Looking at the iPad vs. the Surface RT it is hard for me to compare. I don't know app sizes nor the OS space taken. Case, well the stand is nice as is a keyboard possibly, but these are also available for the iPad, and probably any Blutooth keyboard would work, don't know.

I don't know if I'd want a keyboard for my iPad, that is unless I need to do some real data input and the iPad was the only way I could do it? For what I use it for, very little data input is required.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

I think the main justification for the RT version is to make use of the RISC processors. Those processors have come a long way. They are fast, use little energy (long uptime for the battery) and are cheap.

Most other tablets (and smartphones) use RISC CPUs. So MS has to play in that arena if they want to stay competitive.

The downside is that you cannot run any x86 applications. They do not run on those processors. But over time, there will be a larger MS inventory of RISC applications (like with Google and Apple today) and RISC will probably be used for traditional laptops and maybe even desktops.

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey

For those who may be interested, Bill Pytlovany - the developer of the well-known WinPatrol, and a Micrsoft MVP, has posted a lengthy "First Impression" article of the Windows RT Surface - complete with photos and images. He provides a real "out-of-the-box" first-impression experience, and possibly some people here might find it interesting.

You can read the article, posted on his blog, "Bits from Bill", at the link below:

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.