• Started 2 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1188 times

raphoenix

Information in article.
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2012-10-26

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

I just received my Microsoft Windows 8 $40 Upgrade Offer by E-mail AFTER I posted above.

Has anybody else actually tried out the offer ??????????

I do NOT want the installation process to start up automatically and mess up a Pair of SSDs.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

beakie

This Windows 8 will mess up peoples bank balance that's for sure if they don't download the upgrade advisor first before buying it.
I can't think of one reason why I need a touch screen capable OS.
Out of curiosity having experimented lifting my arm and swiping my finger across the screen for a couple of minutes, I quickly came to the conclusion my arm is too heavy and intend to employ my mouse for some time yet. possibly until I die.
The only gain Win8 will have is for the hardware and software developers who will benefit financially from most peoples PC's being incompatible in some way or another with Win8.
I think Microsoft have anticipated a lack of interest and problems Win8 will create for users, hence the limited time only knock down price.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I'm waiting for the $15 deal for my wife's new Dell that was registered for it. No e-mail on that one, but I did get the $40 one for my older Dell. Ran the Advisor, no real problems but a lot of programs need updates. One sort of implied it was a purchased item, and a few said check the apps web site.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

I took that deal at 12:01 on the 26th. Upgrade went fast (30 minutes)
During the procedure (before the actual upgrade) you can create a ISO. Which I did.
Yesterday I did a clean install using the ISO burned to a single layer dvd. Install went super fast (15 minutes).

The 15$ upgrade offer DOES NOT ASK FOR A PROOF OF PURCHASE. Some co-workers and friends tried it and, yep, they got it for 25$ cheaper.
Still.. 40$. Good deal.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I'm not sure about the $15 deal not being checked? My wife's 'deal' on the new Dell specifically says it must be gotten from the computer it will be installed on? I have a different ID on my computer which is 2 1/2 years old. I registered my computer and my wife's at the same time. Mine for the $40 deal and my wife's for the $15 deal. Each has a different number. Her computer when it goes to the site gets the $14.99 price, I get $39.99?

We're going to put it first on her computer... I've used the preview versions on my computer and I'm not even sure I want W8? I'll let her try it out and see how badly she complains before even trying it on mine? Of course, I'd rather pay less if it is 'legal'?

It could be Dell has provided MS with a list of system service tags that will qualify for the $15 price? Hence the requirement to use the computer it would be installed on? No such requirement on my $40 offer?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

As I said, when you fill out the 15$ upgrade info, it only asks for a few information but they don't require to upload a scanned copy of an invoice, and I doubt MS will start calling stores to confirm if Mr. John Doe actually bought a computer during the valid period.
I bought the 40$ offer thinking that when you do the upgrade MS would be doing some sort of validation of the serial number currently on your system and to check when it was first activated.
I was wrong.
And to be 100% honest, I bought a second key using that 15$ procedure only lying about the date purchased, for my 1.5 yrs old laptop. It's installed and activated.
I guess MS really wants people to upgrade / buy windows 8. And that's fine by me.
I was sceptical of the whole start screen (aka Metro) but.. I'm starting to love it and the OS itself is a beast.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

I registered in the Summer for Win8 Upgrade when I purchased a spare copy of Win7 Pro just to have around in case I couldn't fix my existing copy of Win7 to install across my network platforms.

Is this $40 Windows 8 Upgrade a copy of Windows 8 PRO Edition ????

Don't want to waste money on a machine specific version o/s as I just need Win8 to answer question on HTG Forum.
I know some new Builder will come up with a question pretty soon. (lol)

Posted 2 years ago

afuhnk

Version you get with the upgrade (40$ or 15$) is Windows 8 Pro.
Media Center no longer part of the OS and sold as stand alone.
Register to get an activation code, for free, until sometime next year.
I have no use of Media Center BUT I never know .. so I took it. Received my key 24 hours later.

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....ture-packs
(select the proper country at the bottom of the page - although I'm not sure if it makes any difference)

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

afuhnk,

Thanks for the clarification ! :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.