How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Microsoft ships IE10 for Windows 7

(46 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1571 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, a lot folks prefer FF and other browsers.

I guess it's just a matter of choice like automobile colors OR pets. (LOL) :)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I prefer FF, but as Rick said it is really a matter of personal preference. As far as bloatware goes 43 MB on today's disks is a mere drop in the bucket. For someone with a small, older disk maybe a paltry 43 MB comes into play.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

or choice of better automobiles and smarter pets. :)

And bloatware is bloatware especially when it does nothing.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

very subjective amkeew!

I think you are stretching the meaning of bloatware. bloatware to me means software added to a system which does nothing but take up space. IE whether 15MB or 43MB does indeed do something. You are quibbling over a mere 28 MB of space for something which provides a valuable function. If you want to quibble over 28 MB maybe you need to upgrade to a bigger disk.

You want to be piccune, windows is bloatware. Linux installs in as little as 5 GB space. Why haven't you gotten rid of your bloatware?

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Check out cnet's most downloaded browsers. Chrome & FF at the top in six figures. IE is languishing at the bottom in low five figures.

In the intertubes, it's all about performance not prejudice.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

wait you were talking bloatware not popularity or performance. Don't try switching up now. I HATE IE, but it is not bloatware. Besides popularity is not always such a good indicator of things. Initially Hitler was very popular, but look at how that wound up.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Most OEM machines come with Windows and IE already installed so, no need to download if you want it.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

IE comes with every windows OS, it is tied to windows.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Exactly, which is why the Cnet figures would be how they are.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good point on Linux. My Linux Mate takes 4.6GB with a full Office suite and quite a few other programs installed. Let's go Linux (but not Ubuntu with Unity , yukky)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

LOL whs :))))

As long as you found a distro you like is all that really matters. Who cares if you like vanilla and I like chocolate?

Wow and look at that graphic!!...NO FRAGMENTATION on that journaled file system

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I hear you warlock.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Au contraire, M$ force feeding its bloated browser is the reason most people download better browsers.

Browsers vs OS is a crappy comparison.

And what has hitler has got anything do with this browser war ?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

making a point that popularity is not always the best measure of quality or success.

To quote you: "And bloatware is bloatware..." that applies whether a browser or OS.

So is not Windows bloatware? How many GB do you need to do a basic default installation? And then you want to complain about the difference between 15 MB and 43 MB? Give everyone a break you are wrong here!! You like FF & Chrome, I like FF, Rick likes IE. IE at 43 MB is not bloatware no matter how you want to twist it.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Where did Hitler get into this discussion ??

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

And I am done.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

If that makes you feel better I will laugh with you. See you around on here :)))))

Posted 1 year ago

dmspen

I installed IE 10 last night on Win7 Home (x64). My PC now takes several minutes longer to boot, longer to log in, and 10 freezes for long stretches.

just great...

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

It's running sound for me. I'm actually using pinned windows from both IE10 and Chrome simultaneously. Although I prefer IE10's pinned windows it doesn't block ads on Facebook so I've got the Chrome one for that. All the nags about accelerators and add ons have gone from IE10 and it's quite nice and more or less a similar speed. Scrolling is beautifully smooth on the touchpad and responsive...better than Chrome.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Our beloved GS just post this news report: http://news.softpedia.com/news.....3093.shtml. has any one noticed if their Aero is down with IE10? I have Aero Glass shut off on my computer but I depend on Aero Peek and Aero Snap. I could live without Windows colors but losing PEEK and Snap would be intolerable.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!