SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Microsoft Security Essentials vs Other Free Anti-Virus (Avast, AVG, etc.)

(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 51530 times

jmcguire

The Geek recently did an article on Microsoft Security Essentials. I am currently repairing a computer, starting from reinstalling Windows. (I am also putting Linux on a very small partition on the computer.)

Obviously this is a question weighed greatly by opinion, but, how does this anti-virus stack up against the other free ones?

Specifically to "The Geek," was the purpose of the article more to review the effectiveness Microsoft Security Essentials to some base value or to compare Microsoft Security Essentials to a average of other anti-virus software available. [ I hope that makes sense. ]

I also plan on using Threatfire. It looks like a good piece of software that works with your anti-virus. I have yet another post about the effectives of it.

So, essentially my decision will be between the following coupled with Threatfire.
- Avast (What I normally use)
- AVG
- Avira
- Microsoft Security Essentials

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I run MSE on 2 systems. Seems to be fine. I have seen different opinions on the forums. Best is to try it out. Has a small footprint and is non-invasive.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

Non-invasive is always good. I am trying to get the best solution with the least input from the user. (That way, they don't have to stop working until I can connect remotely and read what the pop-up says.) :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

For your purpose it might fit the bill. Why don`t you first try it on a couple of systems.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

i used to use ESET nod32 and was very happy, never got any infections, now i upgraded to WIn7 and i cant use Eset on Win7 but im now using MSE and im happy to say its better than i thought originally, they sorted the update issue out and, there is minimal CPU usage. a decent anti-virus if i do say so, it actually picked up viruses on old files i had that ESET did not. two thumbs up.

Posted 5 years ago

AST

I really liked the look of MSE,but it kept freezing on my Vista for no reason.I ended up removing it and going back to AVG.

Posted 5 years ago

ITDave

I just switch to MSE to give a try, and it works great on my system to uses least CPU to do a scan then AVG. So I am very happy with MSE and it looks great too.

Posted 5 years ago

at0mic

mickeyblue, you get download a file from eset to make it compatible

Posted 5 years ago

calebstein

While the scan times are a little slower on MSE, MSE is better and doesn't use as many system resources.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I just scanned my windows7 (fast scan) with MSE. It took about 8 seconds (on an SSD). So what is slow?

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

Do a full scan

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Right InDiSent, that was a lot slower. LOL

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent

lol

Posted 5 years ago

at0mic

you get download a file? i can't even understand my own posts...

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hey Blondie....I am not surprised :)

Posted 5 years ago

sunny12897

never use MSSE its very bad as my PC contains many Trojans and it didn't even detect them very bad antivirus ....

can any one consult me good antivirus

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

sunny12897, hi and welcome. This topic is a year old, could you please start a new one, detailing the operating system and antivirus systems you have at the moment.

Closing topic.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.