The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Microsoft security essential

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Neal
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 528 times

Neal

I have windows 8 on my system.my window defender program is out of date.i have no internet connection on my pc.so how can I update my window defender or antivirus program without internet connection on my pc.can I download update file from internet on another pc and then after that install on my pc?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you have no internet connection, you need no antivirus.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you are not on the internet you have no need for an updated program. However, How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials will tell you how to do it.

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

@Whs....if I use usb or cd then i'd need it.

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

@xhi......but I have windows 8 and there is no solution regarding it.there is no Microsoft security essential antivirus

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

On the machine you're using to post here you can download the latest updates from Here, save it to a memory stick (right-click and use 'save link as' if necessary) and then use it to update your Win8 machine.

Note: You're correct in saying that there is no MSE in Windows 8, this is the link for Windows Defender which is the replacement for Security Essentials in Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If it is only for sticks and CDs, you can use any old scanner to check them out.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

All I can say is, Neal is going to be a busy guy. Running back and forth between computers every day for definition up dates.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Yeah, it may be easier to get this PC connected to the internet.

Neal, What is the connection problem anyhow.

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

@ronniesonora...........yup.u can say.i want to remain up to date its my line and so it must.so when I have time then I come here and join forum to fix my problems and share my views with all of u.is there any problem?

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

@whs........no there is no connection problem.but I have dial up connection its slow connection.thats why I cant update directly from source.thats why m asking its manually procedure.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, that still does not figure for me. Even when you download it seperately on your dial-up, it will be slow. Where is the difference to letting the system download it automatically. Does your system cop out in the process ??

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Neal, no problem here! Just facts. There are usually two or three definition up dates a day for MSE and Windows Defender 8. So if you want to keep your anti-virus up to date the way your're talking about, I would say your going to be busy.

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

@oldgeezer...........I have try this..but its not working.

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

whats the issue gents? all good keeping your Win8 PC off the internet. nothing wrong with that.

you can download the offline updates from a PC with a better connection, do it weekly or monthly for that matter.
there is an option on MSE advanced settings to scan USB drives when they are inserted.

Im still using a 1 year old Avira rescue disk to clean infected machines, no updates or anything and it works great.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

@xhi......but I have windows 8 and there is no solution regarding it.there is no Microsoft security essential antivirus

Here is where to get the Windows 8 Defender (what MSE is called on Windows 8) manual updates.
Install the latest Windows Defender definition updates

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.