The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

MICROSOFT OUTLOOK PROBLEM

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by paulrichardcole
  • Latest reply from DemoGeek
  • Topic Viewed 658 times

paulrichardcole

Need help in restoring lost information on a computer that has crashed.

Can anyone help please?

I have 3 computers that all use the same E-mail address for outlook

So when someone sends an E-mail to that E-mail address anyone of the 3 computers can open it.

1 of the computers has crashed and is saying the operating system has been lost.

On this crashed computer we had set up sub-folders and saved E-mails in them. Is there a way of retreiving the E-mails that have been saved in the sub-folders on the crashed computer from 1 of the other computers?????

Or do I have to get the crashed computer working again to retrieve the information?

If anyone can come up with some ideas I would be very grateful

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hi Paul. What has actually crashed in the system ?

Posted 5 years ago

paulrichardcole

The computer that has crashed is old and going to be replaced but when you turn it on the screen comes up with the blue IBM logo but then after a while it keeps going though a sequence of saying the operating system has been lost (XP) please press F1 or F12

I have tried pressing F12 to try starting the system in SAFE mode but to no avail. Like I say it is very old and I have just ordered a new Dell pc but just wanted to know if I can retreive the E-mails that have been saved in sub-folders in Outlook on that pc

The other 2 pc's that are working fine have done the same and saved E-mails that relate to them under there own sub-folders

Should I be making a back-up some how?

Thanks for you advice

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Would you be able to boot up with a cd ?

Posted 5 years ago

paulrichardcole

Not sure what you mean. I have never tried to re-boot a pc with a CD?

Do you mean the XP disc that came with the computer?

If so I do have the CD still but have never tried to instal a crashed pc from a CD

I was reading the article about Easily compacting outlook data files by accessing the data file management and finding the personal folders will this be able to retrieve my E-mails that are storred on the crashed pc from one of the other computers???

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I think your best option, is to have a look at this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
This may have one flaw that I can see.

As long as the hard drive is working OK, then it is possible to copy off the files.
But whether you would be able to open them, is another matter.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

More (important) info.
http://www.abf-soft.com/dbx-file.shtml

Also, you may need the help from here,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 5 years ago

DemoGeek

I've gone thru a similar situation a while back and since my hard disk was fine and since I had those files in a different partition I was able to reinstall the OS again and gotten my files from the other partition. Did you partition your hard disk? That would save you big time.

Also, this article at HowToGeek is also quite useful and interesting.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.